Archtop guitar is finally done

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Kevin Sjostrand

Archtop guitar is finally done

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Many of you followed along as I made this guitar. I finally had time after completing the OM do get this one done.

It was alot of fun, quite a process and I learned alot.
I'm quite sure that i won't make another. But this is for me and with all its boo boos, I like it a bunch.

My plan 6 years ago when I purchased the materials was to learn to play jazz. Fast forward......I haven't learned much and playing is becoming harder as I approach 70.
So I will still work at it and try to learn simple chords that sound jazzy and try to learn some chord/melody songs.

This is a 17" Archtop guitar built off the Benedetto plans.
I made all the wood parts except the bridge. I had planned to make that also, bought the ebony and adjuster thumb wheel screws for it, but when I saw I could get a quality bridge for about $25 I opted for it.

The body is traditional flamed maple as is the neck. Top is European spruce. Fretboard, finger rest, tail stock and headstock veneer are ebony. Frets are gold.
The bindings and purflings are all ABS plastic. Fretboard inlays are genuine MOP. Tuning machines are gold Grovers.

There is a Benedetto pickup at the end of the fretboard that is suspended/mounted to the finger rest. I mount thumb wheel volume and tone controls to the underside of the finger rest, all wired to an end pin jack.

Finish is, we'll an attempt at lacquer sunburst. I used spray cans for the colors and that didn't go as planned. I wouldn't try that again, but it was convenient so I thought since the colors were there.....no mixing with dyes.
If I ever try another sunburst I will be using a detail gun and mixing the color.

The guitar plays nicely. I like the adjustable bridge for height. You can dial in easily the action you like.

Today I'll pull the Amp out and see if my electronics work....works and see how it sounds.

Then I'll get out the song sheets and start learning those jazz chords. First up is "Autumn Leaves"

Thanks for looking.

Kevin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jread

Re: Archtop guitar is finally done

Post by jread »

that's a masterpiece, holy smokes! amazing, Kevin.
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

What a stunner, Kevin. That thing just oozes “cool”!
It was a real treat to follow this guitar all through construction. Very inspiring.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Thanks guys.
It didn't turn out like it should have since it was the 18th guitar I've made. Details seem to get harder.
But I'm happy with it. It was very labor intensive.
BEJ

Post by BEJ »

Looks pretty good to me, seems like the highest level of guitar building. Your thread should help out anyone who wants to give it a go.
AS far as not turning out like you planned, does anything ever turn out like we planned.