First violin is finished!

Post Photos and Link Us to Your Guitars!
Kevin Sjostrand

First violin is finished!

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

I assembled this violin today after rubbing out the finish, gluing the finger board back on, scraping and sanding on the neck/finger board join and doing a shellac finish on the neck shaft. This is one traditional way to finish the necks on violins. Players I'm told don't like the varnish there. They want a silky smooth non sticky neck. Looks unfinished to me but that's how it's supposed to be.

I didn't have enough room in the peg box for the string to wind around the A peg so I had to get in there with a small chisel and remove finish and wood behind the peg In the back under the scroll. The peg totally hides this area so it does not show.

I'm pleased with the turnout. It is resonant, loud and clean sounding. I don't play but I can bow the strings. I'm looking for someone to play it and a friend has hooked me up with a professional violinist so when that happens I'll get some REAL FEEDBACK! Uu huh!!

Number two is in progress and I have wood for 4 more so I guess I'm not done yet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MaineGeezer

Re: First violin is finished!

Post by MaineGeezer »

Gorgeous! Be sure to let us know what the "pro" thinks of it.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

Great job, Kevin! That must be a lot of fun carving all the interesting shapes inherent with a violin. What a wonderful project and nice change of pace!
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
jread

Post by jread »

amazing! I can't imagine doing that. One step at a time i guess!
koolimy

Post by koolimy »

That is quite stunning!