Options to Repair Mis-placed Ukelele Fret

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
PSmill

Options to Repair Mis-placed Ukelele Fret

Post by PSmill »

Hi, Looking for opinions please...I hand cut the slots in a concert uke ebony fretboard and one of them (1st fret of course) was about 0.020 off (to the nut side). I am debating options

1) just leave it and fret it, as intonation for ukuleles isn't as critical as for guitar, would it be noticeable to your average player?
2) fill it with CA and ebony dust and re-cut to the correct position. Concerned that cutting a new slot that would partly be in the CA fill, would not be sound enough to secure the tangs (but, could just CA glue in the 1st fret, wth low risk for future re-frets on a ukelele.
3) Cut a new fretboard and save this one for a scrap-ele.

Thanks! P
MaineGeezer

Re: Options to Repair Mis-placed Ukelele Fret

Post by MaineGeezer »

Well, I suspect you know what the right way to fix it is. It's tough to go back and start over, but I think you'll be glad you did.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
PSmill

Post by PSmill »

You have not left me a lot of wiggle room here! :)
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

I would make a new board if it is a medium or higher end build. If you decide to save the board (for a more modest project), you could cut a sliver of ebony to inlay in the old fret slot. Taper the thickness so the top edge is a little thicker than the slot. Tap into place, CA to secure.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

That's a good suggestion to start with; if your repair is good, you may be happy to use this fretboard. If you're still not happy with it, you can go to Plan B. Bruce W.
PSmill

Post by PSmill »

Great thanks! I have made a new fretboard, but will follow this suggestion and save this one for a "seconds" project in the future, and will use your sliver wedge method, thanks!
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

Great! You’ll always be glad you went that route.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

I HAVE NEVER DONE THIS: Widen the offending slot in the amount the fret needs to move, shim the now-too-wide slot, glue in the shim to the original, unmoved side and clean up the moved-over slot. The shim may be in the shadow of the fret and invisible once the frets are installed. Otherwise, new fretboard.
peter havriluk
PSmill

Post by PSmill »

Great thanks, I think those are two viable repair methods that I'll consider when I get to the repair job thanks!