A Bizarre problem

Even if it ain't broke you can still fix it.
Diane Kauffmds

A Bizarre problem

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I just got a Custom Shop Laravee with a cedar top in the shop. The reason: apparently, the wood is peeling.

At first glance, you'd swear it's pick damage. He doesn't use a pick! I've watched him play and like most of us, he plays below the fretboard, in the usual area. This problem started as a tiny spot above the pickguard. This resulting area is literally scooped out. I actually saw a couple of flakes of wood come off.

You can see where it may be starting on the other side. I told him that the only thing I can think of is to refinish the top. I'm going to remove the pickguard, mask off the bridge and fretboard, sand the top, then I'm french polishing shellac. I know that the shellac will penetrate the wood, locking the fibers together.

At least, that's my theory...

The bad area above the pickguard will stay scooped. The spot is strong; I cannot move it. After sanding the top, I'm going to steam thst area to see if it's just compressed.
image000000(1).jpg
image000000(3).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Stray Feathers

Re: A Bizarre problem

Post by Stray Feathers »

That's bizarre - I would consider contacting Larrivée to see if they have seen this before. Not to do you out of some work Diane, but they might repair it. It appears it was made in Vancouver so over twenty years old. Is there a guitar shop called Wildwood that it was made for? Bruce W.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Stray Feathers wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:48 am That's bizarre - I would consider contacting Larrivée to see if they have seen this before. Not to do you out of some work Diane, but they might repair it. It appears it was made in Vancouver so over twenty years old. Is there a guitar shop called Wildwood that it was made for? Bruce W.
He did. They won't fix it. They said it is pick damage. I did a little online research. Laravee was trying to formulate or use a polyurethane, taking out the plastics. I'll have to look at the data. I don't know if this has anything to do with the formula. But, Laravee won't warrant it.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Morecowbell

Post by Morecowbell »

That is really strange. Is the finish crazed or cracking anywhere else? Wonder if its some odd reaction between the pick-guard adhesive and the finish? You wouldn't think it would extend that far but maybe the pick-guard had a bunch of squeeze out that was wiped in that direction? But that's really grasping at straws....

How deep is it?
"Facts seldom sway an opinion." - John Hall
"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference." - Van de Snepscheut
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

The finish is very thin for urethane. No cracking or crazing. There may be delamination between the finish and wood; it clouds up before coming off. I think the finish is taking wood with it when it comes off, pulling up the next layer. But, it's supposition at this point. I've not measured how deep that is. I've not started work yet. When I get the pg off I'll take a measurement. I'm guessing at around 0.50-0.75 mm deep. That doesn't sound like much, until you realize that a top is usually around 2.50mm thick. It is definitely too deep to sand out.

I'm going to steam the area after the pg is removed, prior to sanding the top. Maybe some of it has compacted.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

My SWAG: Someone mentioned the finish flaking off and taking the wood with it. That makes intuitive sense to me, coupled with severe runout in the top in that area, which offers up little bits of wood for the departing finish to drag along with the flaking finish.
peter havriluk
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Well. For better or worse, here's the finisher guitar. That area above the pickguard was too deep to sand out. So, it'll be there forever. I did take out a couple of other spots that were starting. But, I have a very happy customer, which is most important.
20230217_112130.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars