Heading down to Nazareth

Post here to make contact with luthiers in your area.
nkwak

Heading down to Nazareth

Post by nkwak »

I'm chalking this one off my bucket list. Life's too short and memories are the most precious things we have.

Recent family events have afforded me the opportunity to get away and I need to do something that I've been wanting to sorely do for the longest time. I don't care if this is TMI but I've been pretty sad because my eldest son (who was diagnosed with a lower functioning form of autism spectrum disorder about 10 years ago) had a major behavioral regression this past year. Without sharing too many details he is living elsewhere under managed care for at least the next 6-18 months. Besides being hard for my son, this experience - and the past 8 years leading up to it - have been significantly hard on my marriage, relationships with friends and family and (though I hate to admit it) my own physical and mental health - not to mention the structure of my home and worldly possessions. Suffice it to say - and I hope you understand - I feel the need to reboot to chase away the blues.

My wife and I have our own little getaway come November which I've been preparing for but this outing which is slated for October 14th (when I hope the fall foliage will be at its peak) will mostly be solo. I'll be making the trip out the night before and am going to try to see if they'll give me the "behind the scenes" tour even if it's just me. I'll be bringing along a guitar or two and also plan on visiting the old factory and picking up some bits and pieces for my next build. I don't plan on bringing back a whole guitar though. I prefer to practice GAS by sneaking in guitars one piece at a time! Even after a new case appears it seems to take time for my wife to catch on! I'm similarly oblivious about her shoe, clothing and handbag/luggage purchases so it's all good.

BTW, the sax player in my church praise band has a nephew in the wood room there. I don't know about you guys but I find any opportunity to enter into a confined and carefully space with unfinished tonewoods to be "aromatically uplifting!" The good news is that it's legal and you don't need a referral from your doctor - though I understand that CITES regulations apply. Regardless, I'll definitely be paying my regards!

If anybody is in the area that (I know it's a Friday but the place is closed on the weekends) and would like to meet up shoot me a PM. I'm planning on making a day of it so the more the merrier. After that I hope to get together with some friends and family down near Philadelphia (It's been over 20 years since I've lived out that way and 10 years since I've even been able to visit my old stomping grounds all around eastern PA) before heading home across the state on Sunday.
~ Neil
tippie53

Re: Heading down to Nazareth

Post by tippie53 »

you need to enjoy the museum and the north street building. I only took 93 tours so far. I also given 2
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

Thanks, John. I will certainly check out the old factory location. I have my mind set to build a 00-18V or 00-28V next time around so I would like to pick up bracing and a small dovetail neck block there.
~ Neil
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

Nazareth is a wonderful place. The regular tours are first come first served, if you can, try to get there at opening in the morning to sign up. They also have more in depth tours for a modest fee and calling ahead is necessary. My first time there a couple of years ago was an almost all day tour from an insider -- what an incredible experience. Definitely plan to spend some time at the museum and the North Street old factory, too, as John mentions.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

The town is worth a looksee there is an interesting cast iron fence up from the church of art across the street at the corner. I won't say anymore so you can see it for yourself.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
krrtlr1

Post by krrtlr1 »

The factory visit is amazing. My wife and I had the privilege of doing it in 2019.

John,

Did you work there as a young man? How did you get your start in building guitars?
Res Firma Mitescere Nescit
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I was there for a few weeks to train in repair when I became an authorized martin shop.
Have lots of friends there. Took 100 tours and gave one. I am a big martin fan
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I hope you guys have a good relaxing time. I'm sort of doing the same thing with my trip to NC, to deliver my guitar to the museum. I've had an offer from the guy putting the exhibit together, to pick it up, but I need 24 hours away from the house and shop.

The mountains, particularly in autumn, always make me feel better, spiritually and physically. Technically, I live in the Alleganies. I look forward to taking my time driving through the Gulley Bridge area (the newest National Park, here in WV) and the Blueridges.

Have some fun John.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Jeremy123

Post by Jeremy123 »

Any other place to visit? We are the top Steel Fence La Mansion