I must be crazy

Kevin Sjostrand

Re: I must be crazy

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Well i bungled my purfling job on the back. First time marking, cutting, by hand in maple. Not too easy.
For now moving forward. I added a black line to standard BWB purflng which helped fill in my overly wide uneven width channel. Many gaps to fill. Ugh!
I bought the right tools for the next time on the top and that should come out better.
I may even start over with a new back with some lessons learned.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

Stradivari had trouble with his first few back purflings.

Seriously, you are learning a new techniques and that moves you forward. It takes a lot of nerve to get out of the ole comfort zone. I bet the purflings will be hidden somewhat by the varnish. Anyway, it’s looking like a violin! Thanks for the update.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
Kevin Sjostrand

Making progress. The outside arching of the back is close to complete. The purfling after scraping it down is not as bad as i thought it would be. Not great but im going to go with it. Ill do better on the top.

Started carving out the inside of the back. Wall thickness is 5mm at the center to both ends of the C bouts the tapers down to 3mm at the purfling ledge. A series of holes are drilled in the plate to set an initial depth for carving......and carving......and carving.
Did i say there is lots of carving?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

Inside of back is done
Now starting on the top
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

That's a work of art - are you sure you want to close it up?
Kevin Sjostrand

Ha ha. It's got to make music one day

A little progress. Started carving the top
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

It's really coming along Kevin. I don't know if I could take this on.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Kevin Sjostrand

Thanks Diane. For sure a different animal.
Installed the purfling and leveled it. Next step is to carve a recurve where the purfling is. The arching still has alot left to go too. For now this project is in the box. Getting back to my OM project.
Kevin Sjostrand

I have the top almost done.
Finished shaping the outside and carved the inside today. Thickness is supposed to be 3mm so I drilled into the area to be carved 3.5mm as a gage and carved with gouge and mini planes.

Next step is to cut the F holes. I have them traced on the top ready!
Kevin Sjostrand

More pics