1st slotted headstock & method

What're You Doing?
jread

Re: 1st slotted headstock & method

Post by jread »

All the posted examples above are beautiful! Thanks for the details and inspiration.

I cut the slots wider to 5/8" but now they look weird, a bit uneven, and the outside strings still hit the ramp edge due to the 15 degree angle.

Good training! Going to bail on this one and make a new neck. I think I'll take the advice on the "build cost effective" thread and go load up on mahogany and cut a few blanks for my upcoming builds while I'm at it.
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

Good luck with the new neck. It may be possible to salvage the first neck to be used as a solid-head, but it would mean lots of plugging and new veneers etc. Or you might be able just to cut off the headstock at the scarf and glue on a new one - maybe need a one-time table saw jig for that.
jread

Post by jread »

I considered plugging but it’s not that special of a carving job to save. I already ran out for more mahogany to cut some new blanks.

Good idea on the scarf joint save. I cut my scarfs on a band saw them clean them up on the jointer/planer. Doesn’t seem real safe but I do it very carefully. I’ve had good results but i think I’m just gonna let it go.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I'd keep the neck. You probably have wood left over from cutting it. I'd cut the headstock off and glue a new one on, making a new scarf. You could use it in the future.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

If you have access to a table saw, I've found this scarf-cutting jig very useful:

http://theamateurluthier.com/amateurlut ... gplan.html

I recently had to recut the cheeks on an already-carved neck (so no square corners) and made a jig like the one below to hold the neck plumb and level with a well-fitting spline in the truss rod slot, then clamped it to the fence on my miter saw and did the trimming. I think it could be used to clamp a neck to the scarf-cutting jig to cut off the headstock at the scarf. Not sure if the angle goes the right way though . . .might have to be modified somehow. Bruce W.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

I guess, if you are looking for a challenge, trying to save the old neck might be interesting. In my experience, a lot of the time it either does not work out or never ends up being satisfactory. I have a pile of partial projects that I keep to remind myself of what NOT to do. My vote is just to make a new neck. And don't make multiples until you have a viable prototype. Good luck.
jread

Post by jread »

Yup. New one under way. Thanks to Mainegeezer (Steve) I’ve got a pdf of a Martin plan. My 1st build, a Blues Creek D-12 kit also came with a pre made slotted head. I should have just copied it in the 1st place. It has a 15 degree angle and 9/16” wide slots with a 1.75” nut.

Thanks for the jig designs, they will come in handy one day I’m sure.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jread

Post by jread »

well, not bad! Somehow my side holes got out of alignment vertically but who cares, it's a trademark my 1st one. I'll work that out next time. I don't think I'll plug the holes and go again but who knows I may change my mind on that. I could just plug the 3 on the left and move them down a bit. It would be easy. I plan to dye the neck to darken it so it would hide the plugs.

The slots came out great though. Thanks for all the advice on this thread. Much appreciated. I put strings over the nut and into the slots and they don't intersect w/ the sides of the slots.

Notes:

Used a 1/4" spiral bit to take out the middle of the slots using a fence to guide the router, then switched to 1/4" top bearing pattern bit against the template to finish the slots. Used heavy rat tail file to make the ramps.

I cut the template from baltic birch plywood but then planed it down to 1/4" thick. There's probably easier ways to do that but I like it. It'll be reusable.

Everything is rough and needs final shaping and sanding after I glue on the neck.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

I like your volute! My attempts to carve one haven't turned out particularly well.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

Looks really good! And I would definitely consider plugging and filling the misaligned holes. I did it for a 12-string solid peghead guitar and I'm much happier with it. And, having learned how to do it, I have used it to correct a couple of other individual misplaced holes. In my case I needed a 10mm plug and had to order a dowel cutter from Amana which worked well. No one will notice the redrilled holes in the slots, especially if you can use the same wood for the plugs. Bruce W.