Violin number 3 has begun!

TEETERFAN

Re: Violin number 3 has begun!

Post by TEETERFAN »

That’s so cool looking. I may never build a violin, but I might just carve a peghead/scroll, they are such an visually interesting thing.You sure are doing a nice job with these!
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Thanks Kevin
I am enjoying the new challenge. The plate arching is giving me practice for when I start my archtop guitar.

I purchased all the materials in Jan 2018 and still have not started it....but soon, very soon.
Kevin Sjostrand

A couple more of the scroll
Fingerboard temporarily glued on the work on the neck
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

This is now strung up in the white, as they say.
It is lighter in weight than my first two and has nice resonance. I'll let it sit for awhile before stripping it down for varnishing
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

It's time to put the finish on this violin.

Today I stripped it down and went over with 320 grit to clean it up. Then I put two coats of gelatin dissolved in water on as a sealer. Sanded that lightly smooth and then did one coat of clear oil varnish.
Tomorrow I'll wipe sand that and do another clear. When dry I'll wipe sand again then start my color coats. I've mixed up a amber brown...maybe golden that I hope I'll like and will make the flame in the maple pop. I won't be going too dark on this one. That's the plan at least.

Stay tuned!
Kevin Sjostrand

Here it is with 2 coats of the color. Quite yellow looking. I'm not sure if its what I want. Might need to add some brown to the varnish. I'm trying to not have a red hue in the color but maybe it needs just a touch of red???
krrtlr1

Post by krrtlr1 »

Dang Kevin, That is beautiful work. You have the touch!
Res Firma Mitescere Nescit
Kevin Sjostrand

Thanks
Don't look too close. 😀
Kevin Sjostrand

Here it is with 4 coats of color. A little bit too yellow for me.

I've mixed up a new batch of color that is a bit more brown with a touch of red. I've done the first coat of that and I'm going to really like it. Making it look more honey or maybe golden rod....we'll see as it deepens with more coats. I'll post pics later after two coats of it.
Kevin Sjostrand

Here is the first coat of new color. Can you see it is a bit more honey....some red and more brown.
I'm going to like it