My second Violin!!!

Kevin Sjostrand

Re: My second Violin!!!

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

This cradle for carving I bought but I mounted it on a rotating indexing table I made with a lazy susan.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

That looks very nice! You’re gonna pat yourself on the back every time you use that.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
BEJ

Post by BEJ »

Great looking work, makes you wonder what Stradivarius' second one looked like, everyone has to start some place.
Morecowbell

Post by Morecowbell »

This is fantastic! I need to look up the thread on the first one
"Facts seldom sway an opinion." - John Hall
"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference." - Van de Snepscheut
Kevin Sjostrand

Started hollowing out the back today
I drilled depth holes to render various thickness to the plate....Will carve down to the bottom of these holes them will have about a millimeter of material left to scrape and sand down to the final plate thicknesses.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

Here the top and back are carved out on the inside and the F holes have been carved out. The base bar is glued in place. It will now be carved to shape sort of like a guitar brace.
Kevin Sjostrand

I carved the bass bar today and glued the back to the ribs after making up 32 spool clamps.
Kevin Sjostrand

Starting to carve the scroll.
This takes time. I really have to look at pictures alot as I go.
Kevin Sjostrand

The main part of the scroll is cut on both sides. There is still much to do. More evening up to make both sides even more symmetrical. Smoothing and fluting around the scrolls. Then fluting over the top front to back to the chin. Pheewee.
It is fun though.
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

Wow, looking real good! You’re doing such nice work and building a violin appears to be a very interesting change of pace. That scroll is beautiful.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City