I must be crazy

Kevin Sjostrand

Re: I must be crazy

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

I bought a box of wood for an archtop 5 years ago and haven't started it yet. But I will maybe before this year ends. I have Benadetto book, plans and his video series to go by. Making the violins gives me a clue now about how to do arching!!
Morecowbell

Post by Morecowbell »

The violin is looking fantastic! I would think the experience will be a big benefit to your guitar project.

I'm definitely fascinated by the archtop world. Ken Parker touches on a lot of my questions and basically has created his own solutions, sometimes pretty high tech and definitely innovative. One of the interesting points he makes is how string choice has evolved from much heavier strings in the 30's/40's/50's etc. to the much lighter gauges used today, and how that affects structure and responsiveness. His site gives you a lot to chew on, and I'm maybe through 30% of his videos. And I've barely cracked the Benedetto book.

I need more lifetimes :-)
"Facts seldom sway an opinion." - John Hall
"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference." - Van de Snepscheut
Kevin Sjostrand

6 coats of colored varnish. Will do at least 2 more. Then will consider if I want to try and get darker.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Morecowbell

Post by Morecowbell »

Looking great!
"Facts seldom sway an opinion." - John Hall
"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference." - Van de Snepscheut
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

Very nice!
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
Kevin Sjostrand

8th color coat. A little darker. Not alot of change.
I may do one more today...or maybe not
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

After rubbing out the finish after the last color coat I just put on the first of two or 3 clear coats.
Makes the color pop!
I've had issues with bubbles coming off the brush onto the finish. Trying different things.
Next coat I'll use a foam brush. The good thing is the bubbles with be sanded out in the end.
2nd coat tomorrow.
Kevin Sjostrand

I am currently rubbing out the finish by first wet sanding with 800, 1000 and 1500. Then using Turtlewax rubbing compound, polishing compound and scratch remover.
I have the back done yesterday, then my back went out.

It is very smooth and shiny. Probably too shiny for a billing, but I can't help myself. Isn't that what we strive for on our guitars???

I'll get a pic up when I've got it all rubbed out.