EIR OM done and headed for India

Post Photos and Link Us to Your Guitars!
Kevin Sjostrand

EIR OM done and headed for India

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Hey folks.
I started this guitar last July. It should have been done months ago and I might have had no issues with the finish if I'd done that
For some of that story look at the build thread.
Anyway. She is done. (Yes...She)

Only as sweet a voice could only belong to a fine lady!

I make my OM guitars based on the Jonathan Kinkade shape, making my mold from his plans. That is about all I do that is the same but I've been happy with shape and size so keep making it. This will be 6th OM I've built.

The body is East Indian Rosewood that I brought back with me on a trip there in 2014. I brought 3 B&S sets and a dozen ebony and rosewood fretboard and bridge blanks.

The top is AA Grade Sitka spruce from LMI I believe.
Binding is curly Koa. Bridge, fretboard and head plate are all Indian ebony. Back strap and end wedge are high flame Koa.
The neck is Sapele that I cut from a billet years ago. Scared headstock and stacked heel.
Gold frets. Gold Taylor tuners....which are great by the way. High ratio and smooth. And....no screws on the back side!!
Abalone purfling and sound hole rosette. Abalone dots.
The abalone is laminated and I highly recommend it for the cost savings over solid shell. Handling takes a bit more care but I've used it many times always with satisfactory success.

The pickup I installed is the LR Baggs Anthem Tru Mic system and it sound really good. I imagine when the controls are adjusted by someone who really knows how to play it will be fantastic!!

It goes into a SKB molded TSA case...the best there is in my book for the money.

I'm happy with the way its turned out. There are some finish flaws but I had to come to grips with them.
I'm giving this guitar away so I don't have to be as picky although I'd like it to be perfect....it is not.

It will get used alot for church music and I believe it will be appreciated.
Hope the pics are a good representation.

Kevin

The body depth is a 1/4" more than standard as requested by the owner.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: EIR OM done and headed for India

More pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jread

Post by jread »

Drop dead gorgeous guitar. A real stunner. Thanks for sharing. Just wow.
koolimy

Post by koolimy »

Absolutely gorgeous!
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

Beautifully done - a real inspiration! Does the back of the headstock have a veneer on it, or is the figure in the neck itself? Bruce W.
krrtlr1

Post by krrtlr1 »

Beautiful, Kevin. You set the bar high
Res Firma Mitescere Nescit
Kevin Sjostrand

Thanks fellas. I seem to still struggle with some things but at least it sounds like a guitar!!!!

Bruce that is a Koa veneer on the back. It was head plate material. I think I thinned it to about .060".

I got that years ago from forum member Bob Gleason.
He's in Hawaii. The binding also came from him.
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

Stunning instrument. What craftsmanship. You should be extremely proud! Thanks for posting this.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City