Latest build - Mahogany/Adi OM

Post Photos and Link Us to Your Guitars!
jread

Latest build - Mahogany/Adi OM

Post by jread »

I've made quite a few guitars over the last couple of years and I can say I've learned everything I know from the good people I've met here on the forum. I started experiencing severe shoulder pain last year and had to leave the shop for a while. But PT has been helping and over the last few months was able to complete this one. So happy to be back at it!

OM, long scale.
Mahogany back and sides (re-sawn from planks picked up at the local lumber yard )
Adirondonack spruce top
Ebony fingerboard, bridge, and overlay.
Sycamore and abalone rosette, abalone dots.

My 1st guitars had pre-made bridges and I had trouble with them staying put. But I'm at the point where I can fashion a bridge from a blank on the spindle sander in about 10 minutes. With practice and patience, I've learned to use hide glue and they seem to be staying on. I'm particularly happy with how clean this one is.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BEJ

Re: Latest build - Mahogany/Adi OM

Post by BEJ »

Nice work after layoff, like how you cut B/S from raw lumber, so cool to find good wood from a local hardwood lumber yard. I've been lucky to have a great local yard and have been able to cut all most all my building materials except soundboards.
jread

Post by jread »

BEJ wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:58 pm Nice work after layoff, like how you cut B/S from raw lumber, so cool to find good wood from a local hardwood lumber yard. I've been lucky to have a great local yard and have been able to cut all most all my building materials except soundboards.
I have a great hardwood shop but the Indian Rosewood never looks very good. They have great piles of the mahogany though and I’m super happy with it.

One day I’d like a big bandsaw. I resaw the back using a table saw to go 3.5” in each way then cut the middle with a reciprocating saw and a long blade. Messy but it works
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

You've done a really nice job on this one. Beautiful guitar!
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
BEJ

Post by BEJ »

jread wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:22 pm
BEJ wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:58 pm Nice work after layoff, like how you cut B/S from raw lumber, so cool to find good wood from a local hardwood lumber yard. I've been lucky to have a great local yard and have been able to cut all most all my building materials except soundboards.
I have a great hardwood shop but the Indian Rosewood never looks very good. They have great piles of the mahogany though and I’m super happy with it.

One day I’d like a big bandsaw. I resaw the back using a table saw to go 3.5” in each way then cut the middle with a reciprocating saw and a long blade. Messy but it works
The TS rep saw method, I've use it more than a few times. I have a 14" bandsaw with a 6" extension block which cuts 9-10" with some effort, still haven't got the drift angle locked in yet. Might be time for a new blade.

Bruce,
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Beautiful work John. You've come a long way.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
PSmill

Post by PSmill »

Very nice! 10 minutes!! That's quick :)