1st dyed guitars

Post Photos and Link Us to Your Guitars!
jread

1st dyed guitars

Post by jread »

I like how these came out, thought I'd show them off and mention the dyes involved since it was my 1st go. It turned out quite easy.

These are both all Honduras mahogany necks and bodies and head plate overlays. One is a Martin-size 0 with cutaway and the other a 00 using the molds and bender from Blues Creek Guitars.

I completed and finished the dovetail necks and bodies separately, then glued them together. I did not seal the wood until everything was sanded to 150, then applied Woodcraft's Transfast water soluble dyes with a bit of red dye water soluable liquid dye from Stewmac. I mixed dyes in 4oz bottles and applied liberally with a rag going from darkest to lightest on the inside. You can take a wet rag with warm water and swirl around the colors pretty well and lighten if needed. Mine came out dark, I'd like to try a light sunburst next time. Let the water based dye dry for a good day or two then seal with shellac very lightly in several coats trying not to pull up colors. Once it is sealed in, French polish shellac over that. One of the necks is dyed, the other is natural.

The shellac French polish finish could use a bit more perfection but these guitars sound great. Ebony bridges and fretboard, rosewood bridge plate, carved Adirondack spruce bracing. Hand carved necks with dovetail joint. Ebony binding, center strip, and heel cap on the 0-cutaway. Protein glue construction.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.