Guitars for Vets

Post Photos and Link Us to Your Guitars!
Diane Kauffmds

Guitars for Vets

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

The Veterans Administration has a program called Guitars for Vets. It's a program where Veterans suffering from PTSD, take weekly guitar lessons at various VA facilities. This gives them the chance to meet and talk to other vets, and use music to help them heal.

As some of you know, I'm an Air Force Veteran. Building guitars has helper me tremendously. I've helped by working on Vets guitars, as well as rehabbing and donating acoustic guitars.

A client found out that I donate labor and materials to work on guitars for Vets. He's offered to pay for materials for me to buy and restore guitars to donate, as well as for me to build guitars for donation.

I've built this custom OM, Honduran Mahogany/red spruce with forward shifted GE bracing, and sound port. It has flame maple binding and end graft, buffalo horn pins, buffalo bone nut and saddle. I'm donating it to an Army Vet, who will pick it up tomorrow. I'll also install a K & K pickup.

I'm including a nice padded gig bag with neck pillow support, an extra set of strings, a strap, and a rechargeable tuner.

I'll be posting photos of Rich with his new guitar and a soundbite, as soon as he gets it recorded.
20211210_135516.jpg
20211210_135547.jpg
20211210_135707.jpg
20211210_135603.jpg
20211210_135533.jpg
20211210_135647.jpg
20211210_140311.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
phavriluk

Re: Guitars for Vets

Post by phavriluk »

Is there a telephone number or an email address that can be used nationally to initiate contact for a donation?
peter havriluk
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

if you need anything let me know
I have donated a few things to them
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

tippie53 wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:42 am if you need anything let me know
I have donated a few things to them
Thank you John. I may contact you about some items. Of course, all will be accounted for.

Guitars for Vets has a website, and it contains contact info. https://guitars4vets.org/
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

This is Richard Wilson. He's an Army Vet, E-4, 1984-1990. He took part in our intervention of the Civil War in Honduras, in 1988, with the 7th Division.

He's thrilled beyond words. He wants to record a video which I'll post when ready.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
jread

Post by jread »

Truly inspiring, every part of the story.
BlindBo

Post by BlindBo »

Hey Diane. I just came across this older thread. This is a fabulous story. Kudos to you!
I have had a similar thought and bought three of the StewMac solid wood “Body Built” kits for this purpose on sale. I built one as a trial. They are actually fairly nice guitars and easy/quick to build. The other two are waiting for a break in my current obligations. I contacted the local wounded warriors group in an attempt to get something started but have not found them very interested. I believe it was more of issue with the local group as opposed to the national organization. Regardless, I am going to reach out to this group to see if we can get together.
Thanks so much,
BlindBo
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

This is an interesting idea. I know that many of us struggle from transitioning from hobbyists to professionals and thuu it s would a great way to build those skills without being stuck with too many “trophies” cluttering up our homes!
~ Neil