Palo Escrito and Engellman Classical

Post Photos and Link Us to Your Guitars!
PSmill

Palo Escrito and Engellman Classical

Post by PSmill »

I posted quite a while back about trying to figure out how to build a classical guitar using steel string methods, well here it is :) It is all the John Bogdanovich method, except the neck is bolt on mortise and tenon. 1 degree reverse neck angle. It all worked out pretty well except the fretboard ended up a bit wavy, his method of making a slight scoop on the top of the fretboard to counter-act the back bow on the fretted finger board didn't result in a flat neck for me. Anyways, a fair bit of material came off during fret levelling and it worked out well the action is good, with 1 or 2 notes with a bit of buzz. All in all a success. The guy I made it for did these great photos. He also selected these beautiful woods.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jread

Re: Palo Escrito and Engellman Classical

Post by jread »

I didn't see this post till now. Beautiful classical! I keep getting requests for one but haven't a clue where to start.
PSmill

Post by PSmill »

Thanks! The Bogdanovich book was pretty good I thought. He uses a Spanish heel, if you want I can send you my notes on geometry and then you can use whatever neck joint you want. The reports back from the owner are encouraging he is really pleased with how it sounds, rich, balanced, and good sustain.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

You did a very good job. It looks great.

I've not built a classical. I've replaced a few tops and I replaced the fretboard on one that I own. When it came to the fretboard, I did what I always do, leveling it before and after installation, and it turned out just fine, very playable.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com