Have you ever done anything you end up not liking?

Post Photos and Link Us to Your Guitars!
Diane Kauffmds

Have you ever done anything you end up not liking?

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

My second "scratch" inlaid fretboard was a hummingbird vine, that I designed and inlaid. Frankly, I've never really liked it. It looked better on paper. I didn't like the colors of the flowers or leaves.

Peal sustainability is becoming an issue. The cost increases and CITES and the Lacey Act restrict importation. So I'm experimenting with epoxy and interference pearl colors. Some I'm pouring directly into the inlay pockets and I'm also pouring thin molds, to later cut out by coping saw (like pearl) or by cnc.

I've just started, so I'm still learning.

Back to the fretboard: I pulled out the red flowers and used pearlized epoxy. I did the same for the leaves, using green interference powder and a drop of translucent green.

It's better, I think. I know it needs some relief to add interest to the flowers and leaves.
PicsArt_10-14-04.17.28.jpg
20210505_161316.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: Have you ever done anything you end up not liking?

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

I like it better now too Diane.
Being able to pour a liquid into a cavity I think is an awesome way to do inlay's.
I have plenty of my new "Sjostrand" MOP logos probably will last me for the rest of my guitar builds
but I'd like to experiment with colored or pearlized epoxy like you did. I even already have the powder
Anyway, that fretboard is awesome my dear! :)
jread

Post by jread »

I love it, it's beautiful. This would be a treasure and heirloom to anyone who owned it.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Kevin Sjostrand wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:27 pm I like it better now too Diane.
Being able to pour a liquid into a cavity I think is an awesome way to do inlay's.
I have plenty of my new "Sjostrand" MOP logos probably will last me for the rest of my guitar builds
but I'd like to experiment with colored or pearlized epoxy like you did. I even already have the powder
Anyway, that fretboard is awesome my dear! :)
Kevin,

I found that in some instances, the interference powder wasn't quite enough color. I have 24 jars of mica color, but the mica will have a tendency to settle out. Plus, the powdered colors are pretty opaque, obscuring the pearlescent interference powder. I bought a set of liquid color that's translucent. I can add a drop, like violet, to enhance the violet colored interference powder. It won't settle out and it allows the pearl still shine.

I've got 2 different epoxies; one is a thin viscosity, the other thicker. For pouring directly into a fretboard, definitely go for thicker, otherwise the thin follows the fret slots and you'll have a mess to clean (even with slot dams).

I've poured a couple of small molds, 1.5mm thick, so it can be cut the traditional way, with a jeweler coping saw. It cuts wonderfully. The feel is like pearl. Thin viscosity is definitely better in this instance, but depending on what effect you want, you might want it to start to thicken.

I got a little kitchen butane torch to get rid of bubbles. In fact, I liked it so much, I bought a second one for the kitchen. Haha! It was $10.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08NJVZNBL/re ... UTF8&psc=1

20210503_102110.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

That looks pretty good.
Skarsaune

Post by Skarsaune »

Yep.

Built a guitar out of oak. It’s my big bluegrass loud guitar.

I let the art center borrow it for display for a month.

That’s what I’m regretting, because jams are opening back up, lol.
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

Regrets? How about every (6) guitar I ever made? Every one of them could benefit from builder's hindsight.
peter havriluk
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

We all have builder's hindsight. I can find something on every one of the 20+ guitars I've built too. I think we all strive to do better. That's the sign of a good luthier.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

If judging a guitar means does it play well and sound good, then my #1 and #2 are among my best. If it means are the details well done not so much
Ed M
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

Not too often. Just on every guitar I've made.
peter havriluk