Single O-12fret Cedar/Walnut First Build

Post Photos and Link Us to Your Guitars!
gcbighorn

Single O-12fret Cedar/Walnut First Build

Post by gcbighorn »

This is my first guitar build, and I wanted to take time and thank all the contributors of this forum. I spent countless hours reading pretty much the entire forum and can attest to the greatness of the information provided here.

Over 5 years ago, I contacted John Hall and he sent me the kit for this one. The pieces sat around for way too long, then finally a few months ago I had the time to start building it. Does this count for the record longest time spent building a guitar by anyone on this forum ?

This is a Single O, 12 fret, cedar top, walnut back and sides.
These traditional wood combinations were inspired by research on what might enhance fingerstyle playing. Maple was substituted everywhere for the provided ivoroid, and I chose the extra challenge of binding the provided unbound fretboard in maple.

I live at 9000 feet elevation in DRY Creede, Colorado. My goal was to intentionally build in this low humidity , with the idea that if the guitar ever lived somewhere more humid, the adverse changes would be negligible (rather than building it in a wet environment and then having it live somewhere dry). I know most want their guitars to be humidified to 35-45% (and likely build them in that humidity). This one was built at 20-25% humidity, and I’m hoping it can live out in a living room almost anywhere without problems.

Prior to this build, I had zero woodworking experience. This meant many hours practicing with a router, sand paper (ha ha), chisels, etc. Way too much time super analyzing, re-analyzing, and dry running every little step! I did benefit enormously from the use of Orascoptic illuminated magnification (4.5x) loupes. These would be a huge splurge for most hobby builders , but luckily I had a couple pairs left over from my dentistry days. Search for them if you really want to treat yourself!

The finish is “oil and wax”, Osmo PolyX satin with no pore filler. I chose this to obtain a unique handcrafted appearance. My hope was also to gain an “open pore” positive impact on tone. For a guitar its size, it has nice volume. It has a very clear rich sound with overtones and sustain that are impressive. The intonation is surprisingly right on. I could not be happier with its look, sound, and playability.

I just wanted to acknowledge the impact that everyone on this forum has had on this project. Thank you to everyone that contributes!

Mike Martin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmds

Re: Single O-12fret Cedar/Walnut First Build

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

We're so glad you've joined. I hope you relax and have a lot of fun.
I need to correct something though. You've built in a dry climate. As long as your guitar stays in a dry climate, it'll be fine. Should you take it to a wetter climate, even one with "normal" humidity levels, 45-50% humidity, you guitar will react and could end up quite damaged.

Humidity keeps me in business. I live in WV, where in the winter, it can go down very low. I've seen it as low as 9% ,rh. The majority of the time, it's above 50%. I keep my shop at ~ 47% humidity by running a dehumidifier and humidifier. I have a control that will run the appropriate machine, to maintain this humidity. The reason I do it is because high humidity will cause just as much damage as low humidity.

As the wood swells, it can break off bindings, braces, bridges, bridge plate. I've had repairs come into the shop from excessive damage caused by high humidity.

You're fine, as long as the guitar stays in dry conditions. If you take it somewhere with higher humidity, you'll need to store it in a case with a desiccant to try to simulate your building conditions. I usually suggest a 2 way humidification system, but most maintain around 50%. If you were building it in an environment of 50%, I could tell you what to use.

I just want you to be aware that high humidity will do damage too. A guitar that's constantly taken from one extreme to another will suffer the most damage.

Again, welcome. You did a very nice job on the guitar.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

Hey, I like your guitar! Very professional looking. And tasteful design. I guess you have some woodworking experience now. Hopefully, time will allow you to build another instrument. Wecome!
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Nice job. Nice choice of woods. The curly maple gives a feeling understated elegance that blends well.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Morecowbell

Post by Morecowbell »

Mike - that's a beauty, and an ambitious first woodworking project - congratulations! I really like the wood choices. I'm a walnut fan from furniture days I'm looking forward to using it in a guitar. Also very curious about the smaller body guitars. Great job and thanks for posting it.
"Facts seldom sway an opinion." - John Hall
"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference." - Van de Snepscheut
gcbighorn

Post by gcbighorn »

Thank you, Diane, for your comments on humidity. I was hoping someone would chime in about my strategy for building “drier”. After your reply, I read through the last 5 years of so of KGF on all humidity related postings. I’m now looking into the system you suggested —humidifier/dehumidifier with controls for each. Found your past post that explains what you do, so thank you for that!
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

gcbighorn wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:31 am Thank you, Diane, for your comments on humidity. I was hoping someone would chime in about my strategy for building “drier”. After your reply, I read through the last 5 years of so of KGF on all humidity related postings. I’m now looking into the system you suggested —humidifier/dehumidifier with controls for each. Found your past post that explains what you do, so thank you for that!
You're welcome. I've been trying to find a 2 way packet that would maintain a humidity level similar to your average humidity and I finally found one! According to the internet, Colorado has an average humidity of 33%rH. These packets will help maintain humidity in your case at ~ 32%.

You're fine as long as you stay at home and your area has stable humidity, but if you take your guitar somewhere with an average of 40% or higher for an extended tike, you could run into serious problems. Where i live the humidity can be 70%, then drop to 45% within an hour, if we get windy conditions. So, this will hopefully be your solution.

Boveda Wooden Music Instruments - 32% RH 2-Way Humidity Control - Size 8 For Wooden Instruments – Protects All Wood Instruments For Optimal Sound – Prevents Cracking & Warping Of Guitars – 10 Count

https://a.co/d/0Nxd318
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
gcbighorn

Post by gcbighorn »

Wow! Thank you so much, Diane. Had no idea there was such a thing.
I will definitely give these two way packets a try!
Especially like the idea of using them when traveling and/or using at home during summer monsoon season.
krrtlr1

Post by krrtlr1 »

Beautiful guitar. Love the walnut!

Your own handbuilt Martin Guitar. :-)
Res Firma Mitescere Nescit
jread

Post by jread »

Beautiful guitar. I'm working on an 0-12 fret now and hope it comes out half as nice!

As for duration, I doubt 5 years would rank as too ong for some of the folks here. Life happens, and stuff gets shelved. As for me, I've completed many guitars but my very 1st project, an f-hole mandolin was started in 1997 and still sits on in my shop waiting to be worked on. And I completed a guitar that a friend started in 1977. I still can't decide if it's a new guitar or vintage 70's model but it plays well and sounds great.