French Polish squeaking against clothing

The Achilles' Heel of Luthiery
jread

French Polish squeaking against clothing

Post by jread »

I got feedback from a pro touring with my build that she can't play it standing up because the French polish on the back of the guitar squeaks loudly when rubbing against her clothes. I didn't ask but I can only imagine she's not wearing cotton but some sort of other material.

In my case the finish is shellac but I imagine a glossy nitro would act the same. Is this a one off or has anyone heard of this?

She doesn't live near me so I've suggested that she take 0000 steel wool to the back and sides but
a dull finish on FP is difficult for me. It doesn't seem to look good after scuffing it up w/ 0000 steel wool. I only see little circular scratches that I have to spirit off and well, then it's glossy again.

I really thought French polish was the pinnacle in finishes but I've built over a dozen guitars now and I'm pretty sure each owner would have rather them be satin and without pore fillers too. One guy asked me to just sand down the neck and leave it bare. What's up with that? I use satin wipe on poly on my necks. Maybe I'll just start doing the body in that too. sigh. ALL THOSE HOURS of polishing for nothing.

here's hers

"
squeaky.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmds

Re: French Polish squeaking against clothing

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

This is the first time I've ever heard of such a complaint. I'm curious if she's added an electronic component to the build? At any rate, fp and nitro are considered the pinnacle of finishes.

I guess dulling it a bit should help. Lord knows the vast majority of my guitars are fp with shellac, and as you know, several are owned by professional guitarists. I've never gotten a complaint.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
jread

Post by jread »

I installed a k&k mini in both her builds. I don't know if the squeak is coming while plugged in or not. I think it was just the clothes and the finish. She usually plays a Martin 00-15 and it appears to be satin but I've not seen the back.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I can't imagine the K & K being at issue. It must be clothing. Not much can be done.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com