Safe and Effective Cleaners

Even if it ain't broke you can still fix it.
PSmill

Safe and Effective Cleaners

Post by PSmill »

Hi, I did a search for this and didn't get info, unless I didn't mine far enough into the archives.....I've started doing some paid setup and modest repair work, and would like to confidently clean guitars during the process. I've been looking around at cleaners that can work on lacquers, polys, satin versus glossy finish, silicone free......and so on. I would like to have an arsenal of 3 or 4 products that can take care of most everything. My options so far are a dry clean cloth or clean cloth damp with mild soapy water can work on anything, cloth damp with naphtha to remove heavy dirt and oils can work on anything? Guitar Nomad products include a spray polish that is approve for lacquers is good for any glossy finish, Guitar Nomad abrasive and silicone free polish can work on any finish as a cleaner and not too glossy for satin finishes. Lemon oil non-finished fretboard conditioner.

Unfortunately the manufactures are very cryptic about the actual ingredients, some indicate what they have (such as mineral oil), some indicate what they don't have (such as silicone). So some reading between the lines is needed to decide which products is safe on which finishes.

Does anyone have a universal cleaning system? Thanks.