Soundboard Fiber Pullout from Tape

Even if it ain't broke you can still fix it.
archie4650

Soundboard Fiber Pullout from Tape

Post by archie4650 »

I am new to guitar building and am working my way through an acoustic guitar kit - spruce top with mahogany back and sides. I have completed the construction and am beginning the finishing process. I had the top taped off while sanding the back and sides so as not to discolor the spruce top with the mahogany dust. Apparently the tape I used was a bit too strong and pulled some of the spuce fibers out during removal of the mask. There are 2 or three spots where the defect is rather deep, and I don't think I can correct the problem simply by sanding it down (maybe I'm wrong here). I'm curious to know if anyone else has encountered this problem and/or has tips on how to correct it.

Thanks in advance,
Ryan Guillory
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmds

Re: Soundboard Fiber Pullout from Tape

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

This happens. It'll sand out. We've all done it.

When taking tape off, it helps to pull slowly to the side, perpendicular to the grain. Keep the tape low instead of pulling upward.

Some light sanding with the grain, and you'll be good to go!
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

To add to Diane's comments, don't get too aggressive on one spot or you may end up with a groove or dish, which will show up when you have finish on. And, based on my beginner experience, depending on your finish, I have found I could drop-fill some spots like this during the finishing process, to help with levelling the problem areas. Lacquer is very thin and seems to take forever but you will get there. Bruce W.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

best to seal tops before routing for the bindng. you can sand them out. Next time work the tape across the grain and when you see a lift that tells you the direction you can put . pull tape with the grain you will be safe
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Stewmac also sells (or sold --currently not available) this stuff:
https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-a ... tive-tape/

Or you may be able to find other low-tack tape.

As far as fixing the tear-outs, be careful about sanding. You do not want to create a depression, which will be even more obvious when finished and look absolutely terrible. Sand using a sanding block, not finger pressure.
Somebody talked about drop-filling, which may be your best bet, or you might try grain filler. Another option might be a clear shellac stick; you heat up a knife blade with an alcohol flame (no soot) and use the blade to melt off a piece of the shellac stick and press it into the depression.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

yes when sanding be sure to use a block and sand the area not a spot
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
archie4650

Post by archie4650 »

Thank you everyone for all the feedback. I did some sanding this afternoon, and so far the defect appears corrected and the surface smooth again. Per your recommendations I used a block and tried to cover a wide area so as to avoid an obvious depression. I’ll keep you posted as to how it all looks as I progress with the finish.