Neck reset Yamaha fg fret slot size

Even if it ain't broke you can still fix it.
Chardo

Neck reset Yamaha fg fret slot size

Post by Chardo »

I’ve removed the frets and repaired the fingerboard and I’m ready to re-Fret. The fret slots measure .030” wide. Is a .020” tang with .036” barbs correct for a .030” slot?
If it's to loud ...
tippie53

Re: Neck reset Yamaha fg fret slot size

Post by tippie53 »

no
you need to use a feeler gauge for the slot
if you have a .030 slot that would be a hard tang to fine
May be a .024 tang would work
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Chardo

Post by Chardo »

tippie53 wrote:no
I did use feeler gauges. New cheap ones. I'll check them against my better set. I will also measure the old frets when I can get to the appropriate tools.
Thanks

In another note, how fine do you sand a rose wood fretboard?
If it's to loud ...
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

I've made three rosewood fretboards, sanded through 600-grit on all 3, they pleased me. YMMV.

As for feeler gauges, I've found any set I could buy plenty precise enough. I don't think a cheap set's .020" gauge, for example is going to match an expensive set's .021" or .019" gauge. Using feeler gauges with accuracy is an acquired skill.
peter havriluk
Chardo

Post by Chardo »

phavriluk wrote:I've made three rosewood fretboards, sanded through 600-grit on all 3, they pleased me. YMMV.

As for feeler gauges, I've found any set I could buy plenty precise enough. I don't think a cheap set's .020" gauge, for example is going to match an expensive set's .021" or .019" gauge. Using feeler gauges with accuracy is an acquired skill.
Thanks Pete.
.030” was a little snug in some and a little looser in others. I’m using .030” as an average
Edit
After borrowing a set of calipers the original frets measurement are...
Tang width .031
Tang length .070
Barb width .042 (this is an average)
Crown height .043
Crown width .076
If it's to loud ...
Chardo

Post by Chardo »

tippie53 wrote:no
Ok. I've looked at a couple of fret wire charts. Jim Dunlop seems to make a couple of wide tang options in a medium-sized fret.
6190, 6220, 6260 a little smaller crown,
Some of the dimensions seem to be for shank of the tang and others for the size of the barb.
This is getting confusing, to many numbers.
Would I be better off partial y filling and resawing the feet slot?
If it's to loud ...
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I've filled and recut. Its definitely an option, and may end up being a lot easier to deal with than a super wide tang.

Stewmac makes a tang crimper, to widen tang for instances like you're experiencing; I own one and it does a good job. But, it's also $87, so unless you're doing a lot of fret jobs, it may be cost prohibitive.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Chardo

Post by Chardo »

Diane Kauffmds wrote:I've filled and recut. Its definitely an option, and may end up being a lot easier to deal with than a super wide tang.

Stewmac makes a tang crimper, to widen tang for instances like you're experiencing; I own one and it does a good job. But, it's also $87, so unless you're doing a lot of fret jobs, it may be cost prohibitive.
It just seems like filling and re cutting the slots is a big chore compared to finding the right sized frets. I will keep searching for the wire and see what I can get my hands on and measure my self.
If it's to loud ...
Chardo

Post by Chardo »

Diane Kauffmds wrote:I've filled and recut. Its definitely an option, and may end up being a lot easier to deal with than a super wide tang.

It just seems like filling and re cutting the slots is a big chore compared to finding the right sized frets. I will keep searching for the wire and see what I can get my hands on and measure my self.
Thanks
If it's to loud ...
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Let me do some searching. If it's out there, I can usually find it.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com