Neck reset Yamaha fg fret slot size

Even if it ain't broke you can still fix it.
Chardo

Re: Neck reset Yamaha fg fret slot size

Post by Chardo »

That would be great. Thank you.
So far John Dunlap seems to have the closest thing but the actual measurements of the tang and the barb are what concerns me.
If it's to loud ...
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

You may have already seen this chart, but it has all of the measurements, from all of the major manufacturers. Just be careful; although they have a column for the tang width, some are listed in tang height (but, they're noted).

The barb may add a bit to the width, but wood will give a little, and if needed, it can be filed down. When you fret, you should bevel the slots a bit, which helps with chipping. Finally, the overhang hides almost all bugaboos, even big ones. I think you're right about Dunlop fretwire.

http://www.lutherie.net/fret.chart.html
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

By George, I think I've found the answer!

I may have found a solution. I searched high and low for wide tang, which yielded a couple of possibilities that fell through. Then it dawned on me that you could go deeper.

I thought I'd found some Dunlop, until I went into the manufacturer's website, and found that the chart that I gave you in the previous post was wrong. What they listed as tang width, is totally wrong according to the Dunlop and Jescar sites.

Stewmac doesn't list the widths at all. I called them about a year ago, about buying various tang widths, for compression fretting, and was told that they didn't carry different widths. They try to sell the crimping tool instead.

Finally, I went into LMII. Low and behold, I found this fretwire, FW75. Not only is the tang, including barbs, wider, but the tang is also longer. If it's too wide, file the barbs a bit (or widen the slot). You will have to deepen the slots, but that's easy.

I know from compression fretting, that a tang width of .024" is about as wide as you'll find, but when you include the barbs, for a total of .048", that's wide. Add additional length, and the new frets will stay put. I would use a saw with a kerf no wider than .023". .019" is better. If you don't have a saw, the Irwin dovetail pull saw, has a .022" kerf. It's a decent saw that's easy to find at big box stores or Amazon, for ~ $15.

https://www.lmii.com/fretwire/2160-fret ... -feet.html
fretwire-18-nickelsilver-4-feet.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com