Help! Broken binding and cracked top

Even if it ain't broke you can still fix it.
phavriluk

Re: Help! Broken binding and cracked top

Post by phavriluk »

Yikes! My opinion is to try to rout off the binding and remove the top. Inspect the results. It might well be faster to remove the broken-loose bracing and redo the removed bracing after cleaning all the glue off the inside of the top where the braces were removed. Idea is to make the repairs in such a way as to kill all evidence of repair, just doing a job twice.

We all find out that working slow is the fastest way to get a job done.

Good luck, and please post your adventures.
peter havriluk
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

I removed the binding in the area to see if the lining had cracked. You can see where the top came away from the lining in spots and in others it stayed attached.

It's a little harder to see from the inside. The affected are is between the X brace and the first tone bar. I'm thinking that the binding pushed the top up. I'm not seeing any lifted braces from this angle though.

I would prefer not to remove the top and instead remove and replace the lining. I'll be able to see more from that angle with the lining removed but it's a tricky spot to access from inside the body.
~ Neil
John Reid

Post by John Reid »

Probably a bad idea, but what about adding a sound port nearby to give you some access to that area...
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

You all are probably right, though I think the top can still be saved. I just need to route off the rest of the top binding, then sharpen up a paint scraper and break out the clothes iron.
~ Neil
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

I'm being as careful as I can to remove the top.

~ Neil
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

*sigh* I couldn’t save the top but the ”boat” is salvageable. It just didn’t want to come apart from the blocks without splitting and splintering. I have sitka on order and have the rest of materials I’ll need to make a new soundboard.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
~ Neil
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

Neil, that's unfortunate but may turn out better in the end. I'm wondering if you can save those nicely carved braces, though? I've never done this, but if the top is toast, I wonder if you can run an iron along the top side of the top, over each of the braces, to release the glue. The top is very thin, so the braces might come away more readily than say a bridge or fretboard. You could try it while you're waiting for your spruce. Bruce W.
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

I’ll certainly give it a try.
~ Neil
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

That's not a bad idea Bruce. I'll bet they'll come loose and the glue should scrape of easily with a razor blade
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

What kind of glue? If it's Titebond or other modern glue, you do nee to get all the old glue off because it won't stick to itself. Hot hide glue and fish glue, on the other hand, will stick to itself so you don't need to be as fussy.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion