Repair & Finish 40 year old project

Even if it ain't broke you can still fix it.
PSmill

Re: Repair & Finish 40 year old project

Post by PSmill »

Ok thanks. I think the twist results in a deviation of only about 1/32" from true, so I will true it using sanding blocks before radiusing. I determined the scale length to be 650mm and the bridge was positioned (based on the tape job) with about 5mm of compensation, which according to all my sources is about 1.5-2mm too long, so I plan to fix the bridge position 2mm forward from that. It also caught my eye that the wood directly under then nut is about 9/16" thick, this is a 1/16" or so thinner than what I measure from a comparable blueprint which shows 5/8" of thickness in the neck below the nut. I am wondering if that is concerning?

Finally, I am leaning towards cutting off the peghead (above the nut slot towards the peghead end, leaving the nut slot intact) and gluing on a new piece, and am open to suggestions on how to do that tricky clamp job, and also if it needs to be reinforced as it will be an end grain joint (at say a 60 deg. angle but with way less surface area than a normal scarf joint). I could dry clamp it and drill some micro dowels through to keep it from shifting during the glue up. And I could embed and epoxy a small section of carbon rod across the scarf. Thoughts?

Thanks!
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I'll look though my records. I photograph everything I do.

In the meantime, have you given thought about just replacing that neck? You're going to have to match the wood. Even wood of the same species will probably be a different color. This is already installed, right? The neck really needs to be taken off first, before attempting to cut the headstock off. It can be done in place, but it's a lot harder to do.

It's definitely a viable way of fixing it. I suggested it as one alternative. But your best course of action now is to simply replace the whole neck, especially since you're replacing, rather than repositioning, the headstock.

In the meantime, I'll look for the photos of gluing up the headstock. I usually do this before shaping the neck/headstock, so doing yours will be more of a challenge.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I've used Rick Penta's necks in the past. You can contact him and he'll work with you on almost any aspect. I highly recommend his necks. He's also fast on shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/str/pentaguitarworks
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com