Truss Rod Stripped

Diane Kauffmds

Truss Rod Stripped

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I have this fretless bass on the bench for a complete setup. The new owner hated a very noticeable shim in the neck joint.

The previous owner shimmed it in an effort to lower the action. But, the reason for the insanely high action was that the neck relief needed adjustment. Someone stripped the truss rod key hole. The key just spun in it.

After careful consideration, I decided to try to tap the 5mm hole, with a 1/4"-20 tap. There was a distinct possibility that the truss rod needs replacing, but I advised against it. The way they had the fretboard installed and the fact that this bass is inexpensive, just didn't make it worth replacing.

I made a tool with the tap, so I could get it into the truss rod. This was a total crapshoot. I started tapping, then realized that the truss rod may have started adjusting. Sure enough, the neck relief had adjusted to proper relief. I was going to solder in a cut off screw with a cross cut into it so a screwdriver could be used to to adjust it in the future. But. I left well enough alone.

The strings were 7/32" high at 12. Now they're as low as 2/32 without a buzz. I adjusted to 5/64".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: Truss Rod Stripped

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Nice Diane.
Genius and lucky!!!!
Morecowbell

Post by Morecowbell »

Fortune favors the bold! That's awesome
"Facts seldom sway an opinion." - John Hall
"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference." - Van de Snepscheut
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

It is occasionally possible (okay, Ive done it once) to pull out a truss rod. I was able to do it on a Harmony Sovereign and slide in a new double-acting rod to replace the single-acting rod it came with.
I think I needed to shave just a bit around the access hole, then I pulled and it came out.
To get the new one in, I had to make a rectangular sort-of broach the dimensions of the new truss rod cross section and clean up the full length of the hole.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

This truss rod is firmly in place. No way to pull it out, I wish I could.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com