Yamaha LS-TA

Diane Kauffmds

Yamaha LS-TA

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Got a call from a gentleman, who was almost in tears. He picked up his guitar case by the handle, but didn't realize it was unlatched. The guitar went boom.

The way he described it, I thought I was getting a total trainwreck. But as it happens, it ain't as bad as what's in a person's mind.

Indeed, on the top, in the lower left bout, there was a crack and some damage to the maple binding. But, not much else. I put the endoscope down her and the braces were fine. It just needed to be kind of pushed back together, then cleated. I'll stabilize everything with glue, and touch up the finish. Easy peazy.

I've made a couple of crack tools, similar to what stewmac carries, with what I think are improvements. The tuners are better tuners and I've centered them on the opening, so that the tool levels each side of the crack.

Once I take the crack tools off, I'll make sure the damage to the purfling and binding is taken care of, and I'll put some finish on the damaged area of the top.
20230201_090834.jpg
20230201_090836.jpg
20230201_091548.jpg
20230201_091916.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
tippie53

Re: Yamaha LS-TA

Post by tippie53 »

I stopped using the tuner things I like the rare earth Magnets
they are the cats behind
love the posting its fun to see them go back together
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Morecowbell

Post by Morecowbell »

I love the tuner idea!

Really enjoy the repair posts
"Facts seldom sway an opinion." - John Hall
"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference." - Van de Snepscheut
krrtlr1

Post by krrtlr1 »

Super Cool Diane. Nice repair, thanks for sharing. Does the wire pull back through fairly easily?

Cat's behind - that's a good one John. I had to think for a second. We say cat's meow here in the midwest. :-)
Res Firma Mitescere Nescit
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

tippie53 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:32 pm I stopped using the tuner things I like the rare earth Magnets
they are the cats behind
love the posting its fun to see them go back together
I agree John. In this case, I decided to use the tuner doodads since there was a lot going on there.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I have a very happy customer. It's done and although it'll never be newly again, the repairs are solid. I matched the color of the top. So it's not half bad.

Ooo. I took delivery on my latest toy, an endoscope with 2 cameras. Makes it loads easier to see the top with the 2nd camera. I used it to take a look at the repairs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

All done. I also tested the electronics and they survived the fall.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Morecowbell

Post by Morecowbell »

Those endoscope pics are great! I have one but it's older, I tried to look inside my Gibson the other week and it was brutal, really couldn't see much. Probably pilot error but what model did you get?
"Facts seldom sway an opinion." - John Hall
"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference." - Van de Snepscheut
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I have 2 endoscopes. One is a Depstech. They make a newer model now and one with dual cameras

5.0MP Endoscope with 4.5" IPS Screen, DEPSTECH 1944P HD Industrial Borescope, 0.33" Inspection Camera,Waterproof Snake Camera with 3300mAh Battery, 16GB Card, 6 LED Lights, Carrying Case, 16.5ft Cable

https://a.co/d/2Z2Q3wa
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

This is the new endo. The head is only 5.5mm, so it gets into tighter places. Also, the lead is only 2 meters long, which is easier to deal with than the Depstech's 5 meters. The Depstech is self contained; it has its own Camera.

The Nidage with dual camers is wifi. I connect it to my phone and the phone records the video or pictures. There's more freedom of movement with the Nidage.
20220710084349754.jpg
Here's a link to the Nidage with dual cameras

0.197inch Dual Lens Wireless Endoscope Camera, NIDAGE 5.0mm Ultra-Slim Automotive Inspection Camera with 7 LEDs, 1080P Dual Lens Borescope Waterproof for Android & iOS Smartphone Tablet(5FT)

https://a.co/d/75M5n3v
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars