1963 Gibson J45

Diane Kauffmds

1963 Gibson J45

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

A woman called Mr about a guitar owned by her late husband. She wanted to know about repairs and value. I helped her with placing a couple of ads for it. It sold in just a few hours to a man who lives a couple of hours away

Her husband tool it everywhere with him, including 1969 woodstock. So, there's history to go with a terrific guitar.

I'll be fixing 2 cracks in the top and 1 crack in the lower left bout on the back. It also has the typical.problem with Gibsons; the bridge has lifted. IMO, Gibson bridges are their gift to luthiers everywhere, who do repairs.

It's in very good condition otherwise. It's a neat instrument with a neat history. At the moment, I'm unsure if it needs a neck reset. The string height at 12 is textbook, but that will probably change when the bridge is fixed. I'll fix everything, then determine for sure if the reset needs to be done. Given it's age, it's a distinct possibility.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Morecowbell

Re: 1963 Gibson J45

Post by Morecowbell »

Great story!

I remember reading something somewhere about the trials and tribulations of the various Gibson bridges over the years - does this one bolt on? Some of the approaches are hard to believe. So strange that the configuration is the reverse of a Martin
"Facts seldom sway an opinion." - John Hall
"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference." - Van de Snepscheut
carld05

Post by carld05 »

Here's a opportunity to get a decent bone saddle to change out that adjustable one. Bet it would brighten up the tone.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

carld05 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:51 pm Here's a opportunity to get a decent bone saddle to change out that adjustable one. Bet it would brighten up the tone.
I agree, but it'll depend in what the owner wants. The bridge plate was made oversized and heavy to accommodate the bridge. As far as I know, he's keeping the guitar as a player and not investing in it as a vintage piece, so he may be interested in changing this configuration. I'll take a close look as I get the bridge off and the cracks fixed.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Skarsaune

Post by Skarsaune »

Cool piece.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

these are great guitars
address the crack.
get the bridge off and do you have a plastic or wood one?
wood just fill and slot
plastic replace

I think you may see that with the bridge reglued the action may come down some
if you need feel free to call me
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Thanks John. The action is text book, so I'm not "feeling" a neck reset. I'm with you on this one...replace the plastic, but I think it's wood. It has plastic pins. I'm going to suggest bone replacements. I'm taking care of those cracks this morning and will check that bridge as well.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I have an originalist on my hands. He almost had heart failure when I mentioned filling the slot and reslotting. So, I'm gluing.

I've cleated the cracks and stabilized them. I've just got done cleaning the area under the bridge and gluing. For those of you who don't know, Gibson, in their infinite wisdom, started replacing their BRW bridges with plastic in 1963. Fortunately, this one is BRW. On top of it, they used very little glue, and they glued to finish, two very big no-no's. So, Gibson bridges are prone to failure.

My client said he absolutely wants all original parts, and wants the adjustable saddle, so that's what I'm doing.

I've masked off the saddle slot bottom, to keep it clean from glue, after I cleaned the area under the bridge. I'll pull this tape out, then apply some finish down there, on the too, when it's done.

Otherwise, it's a simple bridge reglue.
20230201_111238.jpg
20230201_111358.jpg
20230201_112846.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Done and out the door. Another happy customer.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Morecowbell

Post by Morecowbell »

Looks great!

(Can't believe they glued to finish, wow)
"Facts seldom sway an opinion." - John Hall
"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference." - Van de Snepscheut