Parlor guitar thrift shop special

TEETERFAN

Parlor guitar thrift shop special

Post by TEETERFAN »

I thought I would check and see if anyone has a idea what this little critter is. I bought it for $50 at a thrift shop a few years ago. No branding whatsoever, perhaps it had a paper label that is long gone. Washburn? Looking at the “upside down” tuners, I am thinking pre 1915.
It will need a bunch of work, binding, bridge, neck reset, ect. Looks to be some kind of rosewood with ebony bridge and fretboard. Any help figuring this instrument out will be appropriated. Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
Stray Feathers

Re: Parlor guitar thrift shop special

Post by Stray Feathers »

What an interesting project - I'm interested to see what the experts say. It does not look like a dime-store guitar. Do the tuners function normally as mounted, or are they installed on the wrong sides?
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

Early Martins (pre 1925?) were oriented that way. Here’s a shot of a 1870s Size1, Style 21.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

That might be an old Regal. The purfling and upside-down turners look right. The fb inlay is different. The regal bridge on the guitar in this link doesn't have a pyramid bridge, but over 100 years, it's more than possible that the bridge on the Regal, in this link. has been changed.

Very nice find!

https://reverb.com/item/47708818-regal- ... 9GEALw_wcB
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

Thanks Diane, I hadn’t explored Regals. Shape of neck and back of headstock match well. Binding very similar. The fingerboard inlays are pretty unusual on my guitar and I haven’t seen anything that matches those. I appreciate your input and hopefully some investigation into Regal may offer additional clues.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Found some fb inlay that is similar, not exact. As you can tell, I love researching old guitars. I have an exceptional archtop that I'm ID'ing. I will search through my Martin reference books for you.

Regal or Washburn used stars. At any rate, it's a heck of a find.

https://pin.it/NyVeJPp
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

Yea, I am pretty thrilled. I don’t know how much hope there is cosmetically, but I at least want to fix the structural issues and get it playable. What little sounds I have got out of it are real “old timey”. Kinda like the guitar tone of Robert Johnson.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

It might be made by Bruno. They made a lot of guitars under various labels.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

Thanks, I will check put Bruno!
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

I found this picture of a Bay State. While not an exact match, fretboard inlays look close.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City