Yamaki 331s top replacement?

tippie53

Re: Yamaki 331s top replacement?

Post by tippie53 »

you will have to take off the neck to do it right.
yes it is tricky but you will ad a skill to your abilities.
go for it
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

My luthier friend Steve has a steam device, and a neck removal press so I will lean on him when I do this. Thanks again for ideas and encouragement.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

You'll do fine Bruce. Just plan out what you need to do, and take your time. Sometimes it helps to make a list of what needs to be done.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

Curious what you found in the neck joint. Import guitars can be challenging. Nothing standard about them. Probably not a dovetail. More likely dowels. The whole neck block area can self destruct before the neck comes off. On cheaper guitars, sawing the neck off can be be the most expedient choice. Good luck!-Bob
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

Bob, I haven't started yet - still cogitating, but am happy to have some advice before I dive in. I will start by removing part of the fretboard to have a look, and remove the top. I bought a lovely Western Redcedar top yesterday from a local tonewood seller at a very reasonable price (so much easier than cutting my own) as I am leaning towards replacing the top and bracing.
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

If you remove the fretboard extension at the 12th fret or so, first drill a couple of locating pin holes through the 13th fret slot so that you can easily align the cut off piece when you want to re-attach it to the neck. Good luck!-Bob