How much difference do bridge pins make?

Intonation, Compensation, Frustration
MaineGeezer

How much difference do bridge pins make?

Post by MaineGeezer »

Does the choice of bridge pins make an audible difference in the sound of a guitar?

The guy I'm building guitar #3 for decided to try Tusq bridge pins, so I ordered a set. Curiosity got the better of me and I tried them in my guitar, replacing the set of dogwood pins I made when I built the guitar. I was somewhat surprised when I heard (I think) a noticeable difference. I think the guitar sounds brighter and more resonant.

Does anybody else have any experience with Tusq bridge pins that they can report?
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Ben-Had

Re: How much difference do bridge pins make?

Post by Ben-Had »

That has been my general impression with all the Tusq products. Personally I prefer a mellower sound than they give. If you really want to brighten up the sound try brass pins.
Tim Benware
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Yes -- having played the guitar some more, I'm thinking the sound they give may be a bit much. I may go back to the original dogwood pins.

I guess one could also try some less bright strings with Tusq pins and see what that combination sounded like. I've been using GHS Signature Bronze strings (see viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7511 for a report of string testing I did.)
With the Tusq pins, the GHS Vintage Bronze might be a better choice.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I have some guitars that like plastic and some wood and some bone
I think it is a personal preference like sugar in your coffee.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I heard a big difference when I replaced the plastic pins in the Martin with bone. I prefer the clarity of the bone. I was actually very surprised at the difference that the materials made.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com