Heard my guitars

Intonation, Compensation, Frustration
ruby@magpage.com

Heard my guitars

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

A friend who plays multiple instruments had family over for the holidays. They came over to talk guitars and it turns out that 4 of them played, my friend and his girlfriend, his brother, and their dad. I passed around some guitars and it was a treat to sit with all of them facing me and listen to my instruments - quite different than playing them yourself.

I listend to these: 5 year old 12 fret mahogany and sitka 000 deep body, 2 year old oak and red spruce J-185, 4 year old osage orange and German spruce 3/4 size Gibson L body, and brand new all-Alaskan Cedar L- body Gibson.

They all sounded MUCH better then I recall them sounding last time each was played at me, and the mahogany 000 was the team favorite. I have a 1974 000-28, EIR and sitka, and the mahogany 000 is a dead ringer - sounds exactly the same.

What a treat and highly recommended

Ed
Ed M
MaineGeezer

Re: Heard my guitars

Post by MaineGeezer »

Yes, indeed. I'm fortunate to have a professional musician friend who is always willing to try out a new guitar. My guitars sound so good when he plays them! Of course, I suspect that he could make almost any guitar sound good, so I'm not sure how much significance i should assign to the sound he gets out of mine. It does demonstrate, I suppose, that it is possible.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I remember a standing in the livingroom of our friend's house a couple of years ago, when I heard some beautiful guitar music coming from the family room. I knew they'd been playing CD's, so I went into the room to learn the song and artist name, with the intention of downloading the music at home.

My mouth fell open when I saw my friend's father, with the guitar I call "Delilah", playing her. I'd forgotten that I brought her over and I had no idea he could play that well, or that Delilah sounded that good.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
TyraNoah

Post by TyraNoah »

Very interesting.
Diane Kauffmds wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:15 pm I remember a standing in the livingroom of our friend's house a couple of years ago, when I heard some beautiful guitar music coming from the family room. I knew they'd been playing CD's, so I went into the room to learn the song and artist name, with the intention of downloading the music at home.

My mouth fell open when I saw my friend's father, with the guitar I call "Delilah", playing her. I'd forgotten that I brought her over and I had no idea he could play that well, or that Delilah sounded that good.
Aw!! Really touching.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Thank you. It means even more, because that was his last Christmas. He was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer shortly thereafter, and passed away. The one thing that made him happy after he became sick, was that I sent photos while I was building, so he could see the process.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
BlindBo

Post by BlindBo »

As stated above, that is a really touching story.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

This is Miss Delilah. I named her after the bad girl in the bible; just like Samson, she sapped my energy. This was guitar #2. I've since replaced the top, which developed a crack from stress. This was the first time I bent wood, so the lower right bout isn't very rounded. My router cut off part of her top in the upper left corner (long story). I actually reshaped the entire guitar as not to lose the wood. But, I did learn french polishing on her. I've had several offers for her, but she's the one I won't sell.

She has an appalachian red spruce top now. But, I dropped her on my shop floor, concrete of course, damaging her upper right back bout. I've repaired her. She still sounds great; but she had a LOT of mistakes. She's living proof that guitars don't have to be perfect to sound great.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
JLT

Post by JLT »

I'm lucky in that I'm in a group that meets regularly (every two weeks or so) for jams, and we often pass instruments around. So I've been able to hear my guitars played by others. They always seem to sound better when they play them, even allowing for their better skill. The only one that seemed to sound the same when I played it was one with a sound port on the upper (bass side) rib.
ctgblue

Post by ctgblue »

I've not been able to hear mine, but as an electric builder, it's always nice to get an email like, "hey, I bought this as a backup, but it's been my go to stage guitar since I got it..."
I work hard and play hard. I lift heavy, ride a motorcycle, and play metal. I'm soon to be 'grandpa'.
If it's too loud you're too old. . . Crap, it's starting to get a little loud...