New Members, tell us a bit about yourselves
BlindBo

Post by BlindBo »

Greetings folks. I am a new member and wanted to introduce myself. And I am a 68 year old, essentially blind man with only mediocre skills. This journey started for me three years ago, shortly after I lost my sight. Started playing guitars 55 years ago and I’m not sure I’m much better now than when I started. However, I’ve had a lifelong appreciation of acoustic guitars, and finally decided to try building them. I started out with SM kits. Someone posted on a site the question, “how many f’ing kits do I have to build before I get a keeper?“. In my case, it was about five! With the help of a friend, I was able to reasonably salvage numbers two through five, but, I think number one is going to be holding my ashes in the future!
I was fortunate enough to make friends with Jimmie Hall (RIP) who let me work with him in his shop for the last year and a half teaching me many wonderful lessons that I wasn’t grasping from the kit instructions. I now feel as if I can build a I am decent box although I am still struggling with getting the neck geometry perfect. As many of you may know, Jimmy passed away in October 2022 and I truly miss our weekends together in his shop. He was a wonderful human being and a very capable guitar builder. Rest in peace, my dear friend.
One of the other benefits I’ve received from Jimmy was making friends with John Hall of Blues Creek Guitars. What a character and extremely talented guy. He has taken pity on me and is trying his best to help me become a Luthier. So, if you see him running wild eyed, naked and screaming down the streets during Martinfest, it’s probably my fault!😂 He suggested I join here because of his confidence in the quality information available here. It is my hope to gain more knowledge here. And who knows, maybe someday I’ll be able to contribute something.
Thanks to all of you,
BlindBo
jread

Re: Newbie

Post by jread »

Welcome! There's more than a handful of folks here that would Mr. John Hall credit for saving our builds and if we haven't driven him to insanity yet, nothing will. You'll find a good group here. Happy you could join.
BlindBo

Post by BlindBo »

Thanks jread. Im really looking forward to being here!
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

thanks for all the kinds= words
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Morecowbell

Post by Morecowbell »

Bo - welcome aboard! It's a great group.

John has taken pity on many of us, and we're all the better for it.
"Facts seldom sway an opinion." - John Hall
"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference." - Van de Snepscheut
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

hey I had people help me so its only fair I pass it forward
we are here to help each other
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com