Hello Everyone

New Members, tell us a bit about yourselves
clamman

Hello Everyone

Post by clamman »

I'm so excited to join the group and learn from all of you!

I've been playing guitar for a little over 5 weeks, lol it's true, but have been an avid woodworker for the past 20 years. I find myself with a now teenaged son and lovely wife and for the first time in a long time I have a bit of free time for myself after work and on weekends. So why not learn to build a guitar?

I will be spending a few months of reading and lurking until I get a kit ordered up for a late summer build. This has been a bucket list item of mine for awhile and am very excited to start my journey.

Take care, be safe and god bless.
jread

Re: Hello Everyone

Post by jread »

Welcome. You’ll find a great group here to bounce ideas off of. Don’t be shy.
clamman

Post by clamman »

Thanks Jread!
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

Welcome to our forum, great to have you as a member! There’s a ton of excellent information here, perhaps the most content available on any one website. Friendly folks with very extensive experience who will any questions you may have. And a nice variety of viewpoints to give you a more complete picture on any given subject. I was a new builder and this forum was absolutely invaluable. You’ve come to the right place! Welcome again and enjoy yourself!

-Kevin
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Before you embark on this endeavor, a word of warning: nobody builds just one guitar. It's an affliction that, in its advanced stages, will take over your life. Strangely, most of its victims don't seem to mind and actually enjoy it.

So...have fun! This is a great group of people who are very supportive and who can probably suggest ways to recover from any stupid mistake you may make because we've already made all the stupid mistakes. Most of them, anyway. :-)
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
jread

Post by jread »

Guilty as charged
Morecowbell

Post by Morecowbell »

Yes, welcome!

It's great fun, addicting, and kind of amazing. And even as an avid woodworker you will need some new tools which is an added bonus.

It's also quite a rabbit hole with lots of designs, wood choices and differences of opinion, so ask questions when you need to come up for air, we've all been there.

Have fun and welcome aboard!
"Facts seldom sway an opinion." - John Hall
"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference." - Van de Snepscheut
jread

Post by jread »

Morecowbell wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:59 am you will need some new tools which is an added bonus.
I think this is one of the driving factors of why we all keep building more. It's takes a whole guitar build to get your shop setup to build a guitar and learn the skills to use them. What are you gonna do with all those new tools but build more! Then you start to think, huh, if I build more than one at a time... hahaha
Andy Mitchell

Post by Andy Mitchell »

clamman wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:37 pm I will be spending a few months of reading and lurking until I get a kit ordered up for a late summer build. This has been a bucket list item of mine for awhile and am very excited to start my journey.
Welcome clamman!

Regarding your enthusiasm for that first build, I can relate. I (like you) just took a plunge a few years ago and decided to build a guitar. So I ordered a kit, not really knowing for sure if I'd manage to put it together or not. But building these things turned out to be a very enjoyable hobby for me, as I am sure it will for you too. All the best, and ask away with any questions!
clamman

Post by clamman »

Thanks Andy!

This seems like a great community and I'm really excited to keep learning.