Hello from SE Texas

New Members, tell us a bit about yourselves
GMH64

Hello from SE Texas

Post by GMH64 »

Hey y’all I’m Greg and I’m building a Stew-Mac OM maple bottom and sides with Sitka top. I have built a couple electric guitar kits and I would like to try something a little more challenging. I’m a furniture maker/cabinet maker and finisher. I’ve been building doing that my whole life. My dad had a cabinet shop and that’s where I was growing up. I have built 2 plywood lapstrake sale boats and learned a lot about hand tools and sharpening them and learned a lot about fitting wood that isn’t level, plumb, square or straight. I want to build a couple kits and then build from scratch.
I do appreciate any help and advice and hope to contribute soon.
jread

Re: Hello from SE Texas

Post by jread »

Welcome aboard! We'll look forward to seeing your progress and please don't hesitate to ask questions. We're here to help.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

It sounds as though you'll do fine, although building a guitar has its own set of weird ways of doing things that may not always fit one's past experience (guess how I know).
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

Welcome Greg! Your previous woodworking experience will help a lot. Everyone here is very helpful and eager to provide the “what” and the “why” to any issue. And many luthiers on this forum have built A LOT of guitars and their deep experience is priceless.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Hi Greg and welcome
There're some of us still around here since the forum began and many new builders too.
We all like hearing and seeing builds and will be glad give out help and advice....that will hopefully be beneficial as you progress. We all have made the mistakes that are common to the process so don't be shy to ask questions and seek assistance.
John Hall is the man here and is always ready to answer questions.
Oh and we like progress pics too.
Welcome aboard and enjoy the process.
Kevin
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Welcome aboard. We're here to help, so don't ever hesitate to ask questions.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

welcome to the group share and ask questions
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Kevin Sjostrand wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:14 pm We all have made the mistakes that are common to the process so don't be shy to ask questions and seek assistance.
Some of us have made some uncommon mistakes that have stood out for the degree of ineptitude required, too. So don't worry about asking anything about anything.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Morecowbell

Post by Morecowbell »

Gary, welcome!

It's a great group here, if you need help just ask. I'm close to finishing my first build, an OM from scratch, and I think you've chosen a wisely to go with a Stew-Mac kit. Your woodworking and electric guitar background will serve you well, keep us posted!

Best,

Clay
"Facts seldom sway an opinion." - John Hall
"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference." - Van de Snepscheut