Neck Scarf - Which Way?

What're You Doing?
Stray Feathers

Neck Scarf - Which Way?

Post by Stray Feathers »

Early in my time on this forum, I asked if it mattered whether, in a neck scarf joint, the main neck should sit on top of the headstock, or vice versa? There did not seem to be a definite recommendation. I decided to put the main neck on top and that has worked well. But for some reason, I have goofed on a few instruments (ukuleles mostly), and put the headstock on top of the main neck. I think structurally it is fine, but it means the scarf joint is revealed along the neck instead of on the headstock. It has taken me a while to figure that difference out so I thought I would share that here in case it helps others starting out. Bruce W.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rcnewcomb

Re: Neck Scarf - Which Way?

Post by rcnewcomb »

You could also add a backstrap to highlight the transition.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out - another good day in the shop
Bob Gleason

Re: Neck Scarf - Which Way?

Post by Bob Gleason »

Traditionally the neck goes on top of the head in the scarf joint. If you do it the other way around, you'll get an ugly joint line on the back of the headstock, which you would want to cover with a backstrap. The scarf joint that ends up by the nut is often blended in with a volute of some kind and wings are added to the sides of the head to cover the join line on the sides. To get the right angles on a steel string, the scarf is cut around 14 degrees and more like 7-8 degrees on a nylon string or slotted headstock.-Bob