Before gluing braces . . .

What're You Doing?
Gary Davis

Before gluing braces . . .

Post by Gary Davis »

. . . do folks scrape or plane the bottom of the braces after shaping on the radius dish and the corresponding locations on the top . . . or not? If not, why not?

Thanks y'all.

Gary Davis
tippie53

Re: Before gluing braces . . .

Post by tippie53 »

no the dish does the work
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Gary Davis

Post by Gary Davis »

Thanks John.
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

I do wipe the dust off as much as I can...
peter havriluk
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

I make all my curved bracing with a handplane and a simple jig, so I have a very smooth gluing surface to begin with. The whole bracing thing is way over thought IMO. If you have a decent fitting joint, modern glues do the work. To get into the complexity of perfect brace fitting into the geometry of the spherical top or back, is completely mind boggling. If we can get close, whether it is done by CNC or by hand, the glue takes care of things.-Bob
Gary Davis

Post by Gary Davis »

Thank you Peter and Bob.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

It never occurred to me that there was any need to. I radius the braces in the appropriate radius dish,then set the top (or back) in the dish and clamp the braces with go-bar rods, mashing everything down against the dish.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Gary Davis

Post by Gary Davis »

I just remember reading that sanding is not as effective for gluing surfaces as planing or scraping. I would think that that would be an important consideration given the stresses associated with bracing.

Gary Davis
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Gary Davis wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:54 am I just remember reading that sanding is not as effective for gluing surfaces as planing or scraping.
Hmm...that's interesting. I would have assumed that a sanded surface would provide a better grip for glue than a planed one.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
rcnewcomb

Post by rcnewcomb »

I wanted to check Gary's statement about glue and sanding vs planing/scraping. There was a discussion on a classical guitar forum on this topic. ->Link

Apparently the research comes from the aircraft industry in the early 1940's using the waterproof glue Resorcinol. I have no idea if these findings would apply to Titebond original.

The other finding is that gluing freshly sanded/machined surfaces have a lower failure rate than surfaces that have had more time between sanding and then the glue process. I wasn't familiar with the concept of surface energy, but it does make sense.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out - another good day in the shop