Screwed up binding!

What're You Doing?
Slowpicker

Screwed up binding!

Post by Slowpicker »

Guitar #2, scratch build. I routed the back binding with my new-to-me StewMac tower router guide. The back went well. On the top, I thought I ought to route the purfling channel first, since the side would still be there for the bearing to ride on when I routed the binding channel. Then when I went to route the top binding, I failed to realize the donut on the StewMac was so small that it would drop down into the purfling channel, which then made the binding channel too wide. I only did about 4" before noticing. See pic below:
IMG_9606.JPG
IMG_9607.JPG
It would seem my options are:
1) Continue to route the wider channel and order up some wider binding. Original was 6.4mm, but I would need 8mm now.
2) Fix the depth, continue the routing, and fill this 4" long gap on the upper bout, knee side, with a strip of walnut or something?
3)???

Since I have the purfling channel cut, how should I proceed to cut the binding channel with this StewMac donut? Any tips?

And considering the StewMac donut is pretty small, should I route the binding first and the purfling second in the future?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BlindBo

Re: Screwed up binding!

Post by BlindBo »

Hey, Slowpicker. While I am fairly new to this hobby, I’m happy to offer my opinion. I am not familiar with Stew-Mac’s tower router guide, but, they normally make decent equipment and I’m surprised their guide created this issue. You may want to check with SM tech service to see if the set up is correct.

From my experience, you have the sequence correct and your purfling channel looks good. I always route the purfling channel 1st, and then the binding channel. If what you report is a characteristic of this guide, you could install the purfling first, and then route the binding channel. However, this seems like extra work that should not be required and gluing in the purfling w/o the binding to create a sandwich for the tape to secure could result in the purfling not seating tightly against the top. Then you’d have another set of issues to deal with.

I would not try to go taller on your binding since you would probably want to match it on the back. That’s a lot of binding to look at. I actually prefer shorter binding depths and often shoot for 0.20” or less and scrape away the portion that is proud above the top. It gives you more of a vintage look.

It seems you have several options. Since this is on the trebble side, a repair would not be as noticeable. Assuming you have some drops from your side pieces, you can likely find a piece where are the grain essentially matches the side. You can carefully cut a piece to glue in place be sure to sand it to thickness before installing. I am not that good at this type of repair yet and would look for an alternative myself. If you go this route, I would try to get to the bottom of the guide problem before proceeding with routing.
You could always continue with the deeper binding channel and add a 0.06” b/w strip under the 0.25” binding to fill the gap. It would dress up your look.
Personally, I’d try to figure out how to get the SM guide to do the job correctly.

Good luck and as John Hall says, look at these issues as “enhancements”!😂
Slowpicker

Post by Slowpicker »

Thanks for the reply. I decided to patch in a slice of the walnut that came off the sides. Then I re-routed, and it's not particularly visible.

I am curious if others have had the same issue with the StewMac donut? It is not defective, it just may require a specific technique or order of routing that I did not follow.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

it's a design enhancement possibility
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com