REbending sides - need advice

What're You Doing?
dangitman

REbending sides - need advice

Post by dangitman »

I am doing two kits at once and I used some Unicorn Spit to stain the sides and the waste has straightened out enough that it will not easily fit into my mold. I used the stain after gluing the neck and end blocks but prior to gluing the top or back bc I am using different dye for the top, back and sides and didn’t want it to bleed. The back/sides are on Ovangkol. So I am looking for advice on how I may be able to steam/heat the sides in a manner that will allow me to then place it in my mold to bury into form. I hope that makes sense. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I’ll try to figure out how to post a photo.

Here’s a pic: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7e03w5vh46r52 ... M.jpg?dl=0
BlindBo

Re: REbending sides - need advice

Post by BlindBo »

I’ve never done this but Blues Creek Guitars has a side bending video where John intentionally bends one side incorrectly and shows how to remove the bend using a steam iron. That may answer your problem.
Take care
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

A bending iron may be the way to go, especially if the problem area is localized.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
dangitman

Post by dangitman »

Seems like m going to have to get creative
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

what mold are you using? It is not uncommon for them to flatten out.
it should go into the mold.
if not get a steam iron. heat the upper bout and waist then set back into the mold and clamp tight.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
dangitman

Post by dangitman »

Thanks John. Steam iron as in clothes iron? If so could I use a thin towel between the wood and iron to steam it while in the mold and slowly moving it into position?
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

As John said, it is not uncommon for sides to flatten out a bit when removed from the bender. With any difficult to bend wood, once the mold cools, I often reheat the mold with the sides in it and that helps to set the bend. Sounds like a bending iron may be your answer here though. On another note, over the years I have spaced out a few times and bent 2 right or 2 lefts. Moving too fast, or letting the tele get in the way of consentration. My easy solution to that is to wet the side, clip the stainless slats and bending blanket to it, , lay the package on my cement shop floor, put a not to heavy board on top, turn on the blanket and let the side flatten out by itself. It straightens out fast.
dangitman

Post by dangitman »

Well it worked. I just boiled some water , wicked it onto the sides and pressed it into my mold. That may make some of you cringe but the end result was fine.

I also took a different stewmac kit and did a cutaway after I glued up the sides. However when I flipped the cutaway piece I quickly realized the radius on the back wouldn’t allow ,e to just clip it around so I had to boil a large pot of water and use a cake drying rack over the pot to hold the piece in the steam with the top over it for about 20-30mins. I then reversed the bend in my mold without a hitch. Realigning it properly with the neck block and side was the trickier part. I am happy with the results. Will post a couple pics as soon as I figure out how…