Side braces?

What're You Doing?
JLT

Re: Side braces?

Post by JLT »

Diane Kauffmds wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:26 pm
The struts are to mitigate side cracking, should a crack get started. That's the reason for their existence.
I get that. I was just questioning the practice of "inletting" the struts into the kerfing. All of the side failures I've seen happened more toward the center of the rib than close to the back or soundboard.

Creative Ideas 50-Yard Solid Grosgrain Ribbon, 5/8-Inch, Brown https://a.co/d/1rN3WxY
Thanks for the link.

At one point, I think I posted that I had contemplated using "insignia cloth" for this purpose. It's a polyester cloth used in cutting letters and such for marine sails, and we used it a lot in our sail loft for repairs and, well, insignia. The adhesive is designed to stand up to long exposure to sunlight and salt air, and it's remarkably tenacious. (I used to tell people "If you put this on your sail, you should not expect to get it off again.") I might use that on my next build.
BlindBo

Re: Side braces?

Post by BlindBo »

I use the cloth tape as Diane and John said. It is very easy to apply and provides a clean, uniform, lightweight brace. First, cut all the the pieces about 2” longer than the side, tape one end to the outside bottom of the rim. Apply fish glue to the inside of the ribbon, stretch it tight to the side and tape tightly to the outside top of the rim. Smooth out the ribbon before moving to the next.
It takes me less than an hour to apply 14 strips. Once complete , I clean up the squeeze out with damp paper towels.
84BE5013-0878-4833-AE57-7090D4392A9F.jpeg
Once the glue sets overnight, I apply the kerfing over top of the ribbon, I trim the excess ribbon with a razor blade before sanding with the radius dish.

Im helping my friend, Jeff, build his first guitar, a OO/14 short scale. Here he is gluing in the kerfing after taping.
You can buy the tape on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005F1QDEG?ps ... asin_title

Take care
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.