Preicse Remove & Replace of Fret Dots

What're You Doing?
PSmill

Preicse Remove & Replace of Fret Dots

Post by PSmill »

Hi, I installed 4mm fret dots along the top edge of the fretboard (on the playing surface but near the edge, rather than centred) and didn't recess them far enough :) While radiusing and levelling the fretboard I sanded through a few. Now I need to, hopefully, remove the ones that are partially sanded through, while preserving the perfect original hole perimeter, so I can drill a bit deeper and then pop in the new ones! The board is streaked light and dark, so filling around an imperfect hole may not produce an invisible repair. I am thinking, or have seen online...1) us a solder iron on the dot to release the glue (CA) and pop it out, 2) drill out the existing dots with an undersized bit and then delicately remove any remaining bits around the perimeter. 3) drill a 1/16 hole the heat the glue and use a needle in the hole to pry up the dot, 4) try and drill them out using the same size bit as the dot, and use a 1/4" board with a through hole to position the bit perfectly centred, and any minute imperfection will be filled with board dust. Hoping for suggestions before I commit! Thanks.
TEETERFAN

Re: Preicse Remove & Replace of Fret Dots

Post by TEETERFAN »

I would drill a 1/16” hole, screw in a small screw that is a tight fit, then apply heat to the dot and/or screw, and rock the dot out, using the screw like a handle. Sneaking in a bit of acetone might help loosen things.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

I've done that mistake a number of times. Enough to know how to get out of it! Drilling will be a tough call and you'll never get them to pop out. Use a sharp awl , fracture them into pieces, and the pieces can be dug out fiarly easily. Good luck!-Bob
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

I can say with some assurance that your #4 option is impossible. ;-) Even with my milling machine I doubt my ability to drill EXACTLY in the same place.

I think I'd opt for #2: drill undersize, than break up the remaining ring and pick out the pieces.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
PSmill

Post by PSmill »

Thanks so much for the feedback!!
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

when I pull dots I use my inlay tool and grind them out drill can always slip
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
PSmill

Post by PSmill »

I found I was able to poke an awl into the middle of the dot and into the dimple left originally by the brad point bit, and then just re-used the same bit with the centre point of the bit guided by the old dimple to drill out the dots and deepen the holes :) Quick and easy! Thanks.