Bending cherry revisited

What're You Doing?
jread

Bending cherry revisited

Post by jread »

I'd like to get your opinions on these sets of cherry. I fell for the wild grain pattern in this local cherry I picked up at https://www.indyurbanhardwood.com/. A great new lumberyard in Indianapolis that uses local downed and donated trees, mills and kiln dries on site. Prices seem very reasonable.

I started with two 4/4 boards that were cut from the same trunk. I re-sawed both so now have two matching sets of book-matched cherry. The question is regarding the gap/crack in the grain line. I filled it with West systems epoxy and let it cure then ran it through the drum sander a few times. It still needs more sanding to bring it to proper thickness. I would think this would be fine for a guitar back but would you think it will hold together in a bender as a set of sides?

The gap is about 4" from the waist towards the lower bout so that particular spot won't have to bend much. I'm just wondering if the epoxy will hold that section together or if it will certainly fray apart under the bender.

Only one way to find out for sure but if you all think it would fail, then I could just use this a back and try to find some more, similar cherry for sides. It will be an 0 sized guitar so that epoxy fill will cut right across the entire side. Visually, I like it and don't mind the epoxy fill but not sure if I'll end up w/ scrap.

you can see the prices in chalk on the boards I picked up. 4/4 cherry and walnut, 8/4 box elder.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MaineGeezer

Re: Bending cherry revisited

Post by MaineGeezer »

If I were going to guess, I think I'd guess it would crack. Not necessarily where the epoxy is, but at some point along the length of the side, probably in the curve of the upper bout. Now, I don't know any more -- for sure -- about it than you do, so feel free to do whatever you want. :-)

That is lovely wood!
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
jread

Post by jread »

I don’t think it will cooperate. I’ve got one piece thinned to about .12” and it wants to curl. I’ll thin all 4 to that thickness, join and brace one set for a back. If that goes well I can decide on either thinning the other set to .07” for bending or make a second back and go look for better sides. It is a very interesting grain to me. Like feathers.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

that is stump wood that figure is apt to crack
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

It's definitely experimental. The cherry on my 00 is extremely figured, with holes, but I don't think it was stump wood. I've built a guitar from similar wood, with a lot of checking. I stabilized it by using West Systems epoxy and built the back. I used a different billet for the sides.

I think I would let it sit in the shop for a few months and keep an eye on it. Perhaps laminating it with a thin veneer would help with the sides?
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
jread

Post by jread »

That’s a great idea. I’ve read about some of the early Martins with wild grain veneers of various species over mahogany on the backs and sides.

I think I’m going to set this aside for the moment and keep my eye out for matching sides.

Thanks all for the great advice