New LMII binding machine

What're You Doing?
jread

New LMII binding machine

Post by jread »

LMII just came out with a new and improved version of their binding machine.

https://www.lmii.com/binding-tools/2597 ... hine-.html

Here's Robbie's video introducing it and giving it a demo.
https://youtu.be/73inUzIdDYA

I like my Fleishman machine from Blues Creek but this seems like a good product. Let us know if anyone tries it out.

Made by LMII in the US.
tippie53

Re: New LMII binding machine

Post by tippie53 »

still prefer the fleishman
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I've never used the LMII version, but I had a Stewmac tower binder. I used it one time, then sold it. I'm sure it was user error, but I just couldn't "feel" the cut to control the guitar box right.

It took forever to set up, but my problem was seeing the bit while cutting. I couldn't clearly see where I was cutting, so I couldn't gauge how much pressure I was using. The bit jumped the edge and I ended up replacing a top.

I need to have that router in my grubby little hands so I can feel and see the cut.

The LMII version certainly is compact. Thanks for sharing.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

I have had several versions of the binding tower, and still have the previous version of the LMI tower. They have worked just fine. They LMI one has a rather simple, but ingenious, way of letting you adjust the cutting depth. The new one has that same feature, and it is amazingly aaccurate. I don't know what they have changed on the new one. I will say that the sled for the body they sell is over engineered rubbish. I know that because I bought one. Because I do this for a living and am always looking for better ideas and ways to do things, I buy a lot of useless stuff. What do I do with it? Over the last almost 50 years, I have learned that the best thing to do with expensive trash is to throw it away and forget about it. Keeping it only continues the pain of the purchase! Don;t buy it unless unless you really like wasting your time. The time tested vesions, that you can easily make yourself, are much better. I also had the Fleishman style cutter from John, which worked well, but I just did not have the right space to use it. It was at least equal to the towers. Only issue wih the tower type is that it takes me a long time to cut the ledges. Many bearing chanages. You realy need a full set of the bearngs. After a long time looking at reviews, I have just bought the Elevate binding cutter.It's a scary looking tool, in terms of it looking like it would be easy to make mistakes. Several users whom I trust, have told me it is very fast to use and not that easy to screw up. I'll see!
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

The towers work great. It's a matter of personal preference. The downside to the Fleischmann is space. I have a small shop and space is at a premium. But i like the Fleischmann, so I make room. Any binding cutter is as accurate as the bearings will allow, relative to the size of the bindings. I own a complete set of bearings too, the initial cost being high, but worth it when you make a lot of guitars.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

Bob, please do post on the Elevate machine when you have time. I almost went for it, but I have John's machine and don't really have any issues with it.