Tail Block Material

What're You Doing?
Diane Kauffmds

Re: Tail Block Material

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Yes. Here are photos on how to do this. Basically, you just inlay a thin piece of plywood down the center of the tailblock. You glue the face with the plywood to the guitar sides, so you won't see it of you were to look in the guitar. I use a strip around 7/8" wide, and the length of the tailblock.
PicsArt_09-07-12.11.51.jpg
PicsArt_09-07-12.10.15.png
PicsArt_09-07-12.34.34.jpg
PicsArt_09-07-12.09.01.jpg
PicsArt_09-07-12.04.59.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

You can see the strips of carbon fiber I glued into the tailblock here:
download/file.php?id=16115&mode=view

There is no particular need to use carbon fiber. I just happened to have a piece and didn't have any other use for it.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
jread

Post by jread »

Just to add the to story again here, I brought this up here about a year ago as I've seen vintage and new Martins as well as other brand guitars with a strip on the inside of the tail block. Martin had posted one on their Instagram. Here's my short thread with the Instagram link. I did this a couple of times just because they do but I agree with John's H's assessment that it won't do anything to help the block stay in one piece.

viewtopic.php?p=54834#p54834
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

I'm never going to split a plywood tailblock....
peter havriluk
John Reid

Post by John Reid »

Well, I finished my tail blocks. Made two out of cherry and one out of oak. Not the most exciting part of the guitar project, I know, but I had fun doing it, and it got me back in the workshop organizing and sharpening chisel, planes and saws. Here’s what I ended up with.
krrtlr1

Post by krrtlr1 »

Wow! Thank you all.
Res Firma Mitescere Nescit