Martin's off-center neck profile

What're You Doing?
MaineGeezer

Martin's off-center neck profile

Post by MaineGeezer »

A couple of weeks ago I tried out an HD-35 with an odd neck profile. I'd describe it as an off-center somewhat flattened V. It was very comfortable. Does anybody have further details on this?
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
bftobin

Re: Martin's off-center neck profile

Post by bftobin »

I don't know about Martin, but I have a Fender Telecaster I put a Warmoth custom neck on. They claim that Clapton liked a soft V-shape shifted toward the base side. It is very comfortable but I don't play any better.

Brent
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I don't know about Martin, but I did something similar on my second guitar, because I have arthritis. Everyone that plays it comments on the comfort. I purposely made a profile that curves off center, towards the bass, ~ between frets 3-9, so that my thumb would rest more naturally.

If you're interested, I'll take a photo and show you the curve. As a person with arthritis, I prefer a modified or soft V.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

martin also uses a modified V that may be what you had I called Martin they do not do a non symetrical neck unless it was modified outside the plant
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

I'm reasonably certain this was as-delivered from Martin. It was an HD-35. I'll inquire to make sure.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

Sounds very interesting. Diane, I'd be interested to see a profile for your neck. Lately I've been finding the joint at the base of my fretting hand index finger gets a bit sore from pressing against the neck. I've been wondering if I should be trying a different neck shape (though my necks are not yet very consistent), or round the fretboard edge more or something. Bruce W.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Stray Feathers wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:23 pm Sounds very interesting. Diane, I'd be interested to see a profile for your neck. Lately I've been finding the joint at the base of my fretting hand index finger gets a bit sore from pressing against the neck. I've been wondering if I should be trying a different neck shape (though my necks are not yet very consistent), or round the fretboard edge more or something. Bruce W.
No problem. I'll get a photo and post it.

After building guitar #1 and using terrible tools, I ended up needing surgery on both hands, and both thumbs. They still bother me. The strange profile that I used helps a lot. What really surprised me is that every single person who has played the guitar, remarked on how comfortable it is to play.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Here are photos from the build as well as after. This is a 12 fret neck.

I started with everything centered. Then I held the neck and noted where my thumb felt most comfortable. I just starred sanding, moving the centerline, until comfortable. Note how it follows an arc. The reason is that past fret 7, my thumb felt better more and more centered, as I came up the neck.

BTW, I have an HD-35 neck in the shop. It has a centered "c" profile.
Screenshot_20220606-215520_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220606-215804_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220606-220028_Gallery.jpg
neck profile 2_remastered.jpg
Screenshot_20220606-215838_Gallery.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

I checked. There is "virtually no chance" the neck was modified. It came from Martin that way. It is subtle, to be sure, but it's definitely nonsymmetric. Or so it seemed. I don't think I was imagining it. I\'ll take another look at it.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I'm sure you didn't imagine it. It may be a one off, just an aberration.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars