why (or why not) reverse kerfing?

What're You Doing?
MaineGeezer

why (or why not) reverse kerfing?

Post by MaineGeezer »

I've opted to use reverse kerfing for most of my builds, but I don't have any real idea what the tradeoffs are between it and regular kerfing. I know its considerably stiffer, but whether that good, bad, or indifferent I have no idea. Does anybody know?
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
tippie53

Re: why (or why not) reverse kerfing?

Post by tippie53 »

I an not a fan but I am a traditionalist. I will admit that once you have it shaped you can actually take it out of the mold. It won't make the guitar any stiffer or more rigid , once it is glued together one is as good as the other.
One advantage to it is that you can sand all you want you will not sand to the point you loose glue surface,

If you like it keep using it. There is always other ways to do things. It it works that is all that matters in the end.

You always learn more from failures than successes and no true discovery was ever made by status quo thinking so go outside the box , risk a new technique and decide what you like the best.

thanks for posting
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com