1st acoustical guitar build

What're You Doing?
GMH64

1st acoustical guitar build

Post by GMH64 »

Hey y’all I’m Greg and I got an OM kit from Stew-Mac. I have built a semi hollow 12 string from the fret wire and a Les Paul from Stew-Mac that I’m finishing the black lacquer now. I have looked through several pages and haven’t found this topic so I may be stressing over something that’s not important. I got the kit in yesterday and as I’m looking at the top and back they are very rough. I’d say they were sent through a wide belt sander with about 50 grit. Should I bring the inside down to 220 or 320 before I start bracing the top and bottom. Will the rough interior dampen or affect the tone. I have watched the video through the top and bottom glued to the sides and they say nothing about it and the instruction booklet doesn’t either. Thanks for any help.
tippie53

Re: 1st acoustical guitar build

Post by tippie53 »

don't sand past 220 if you sand too fine your finish won't stick.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
jread

Post by jread »

That's a good question about the sanding the inside. I sand both sides of the top and bottom to 220. Sides too. I don't know if a 50 grit inside surface would effect the sound but I like to have a smooth surface for gluing the bracing and a smooth inside is nice and neat.
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

Additionally, the smoother surface will trap less dust and make it easier to clean through the soundhole, after the guitar is completed. I don’t know if a dirty interior is a detriment to the sound, but it won’t help any.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

I'd be inclined to sand it down so when you look at it your reaction isn't "Somebody should have sanded that."
#180 would probably be quite adequate.

Check your thickness, too. As a general guideline, he top ought to be in the neighborhood of 0.110" thick, the back and sides more like 0.090". Sand one side (the outside) down so it cleans up completely and all roughness is removed, then see how much you need to take off the inside to get the thickness you want.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I sand to 220g, inside and out.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
GMH64

Post by GMH64 »

Thanks for the help. I wanted to sand it but wasn’t sure if I should.
Morecowbell

Post by Morecowbell »

Yes - please sand to 220 or 320. Better for gluing and cleanup but also you will see it through the soundhole
"Facts seldom sway an opinion." - John Hall
"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference." - Van de Snepscheut
GMH64

Post by GMH64 »

Well I have the bracing on the top and bottom and have the top glued onto the sides. Everything has been going pretty smooth so far and no problem other than needing more time to work on it. I sanded top bottom and sides to 220 and it looks good.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Good for you....making progress.
Any pictures?