Fretboard placement

What're You Doing?
Guitarfan78

Fretboard placement

Post by Guitarfan78 »

Hi, thanks in advance for your help.

This is my first guitar build and I’m having a hard time figuring out exactly where to attach the fret board. Does it have to be at exactly the 14th fret? If I line it up to where my head stock starts its angle down and leave enough room for the nut, it lines up with the 14th fret just shy of the body. It’s about 30 thousandths of an inch from the outer edge of the binding of the body.

Also, I bought a pre-fretted fingerboard and the 12th fret is 12 5/8 inches. If I double that I get 25.25 inches, not 25.4 or 25.5. where should I glue to my bridge? I’ve also heard people saying they add a little extra length. Something about Martin is too short. Should I add a 10th of an inch?

am I overthinking this? Should I just glue it to 25.5 and be done?
Diane Kauffmds

Re: Fretboard placement

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

The 14th (or 12th fret, depending on the guitar) are free of the guitar. In other words, the 14th will fall just above the binding, above the shoulders.

Example:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Martin isn't too short. Martin measures to the back of the saddle slot.

Go online and find a fret calculator. Input the required information, scale length and number of frets. After the calculator is finished, you'll find the measurement for low and high E, as well as bridge placement.

BTW, I measure to the rear side of the saddle slot too.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

You are making an assumption on placement and it this is how you do it.
I have a few videos on the subject but in a nutshell as you can see fretboards vary from manufactures
So if you measure nut to 12th fret double that and add .10 to that length this is the compensated length to help for intonation. You must understand how you set this up is where you actually place the saddle .

I like a lower action and in the end as the guitar settles the bridge will rotate forward a little this will "shorten" the string length.
In all cases what happens on a guitar will always take the guitar SHARP

so with this in mind using the formula nut to 12th times 2 plus .1 will give you the length needed FOLLOWING THE STRING LINE ON THE HIGH E
for the bass E you add .125 to the length of the High E
You want the measurement to be about the center of the slot.
this will get you in the ball park and you would be able to final intonate in a few weeks after the guitar settles in.

Remember that you have to work with your ear. In the initial set yup you want to be just a touch flat , that way when the action raises and the bridge rotates you will fall right on for the adjustment to be covered on the saddle.
Most saddle are 3/32 on Martin styles.
You may make the slot wider but always set the point just inside the slot. Think of it this way the closer to the front of the slot the longer the compensated length. The closer to the bask the shorter.

Also notice that there is an angle on the saddle slot. Martin used was is called the rule of 18 gibson used 17
what that meant was the number was basically scale length divided by and don't quote me on this but the used a number like 18.37 or 17.87 that was the number the scale length was divided by to place the frets so
X=scale length divided by Y the rule value gave the 1st fret position.
The number subtracted from the scale length was again divided by the rule number for the 2nd fret and so one.

In reality there is no perfectly intonated fretted instrument there are always a few frets that are close.

hope this information helps
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Guitarfan78

Post by Guitarfan78 »

Thank you so much John and Diane. That helps tremendously.
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

Thanks for that detailed description, John. Extremely useful! Also, good to know the tendencies of a new build and their effects on intonation.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

Diane Kauffmds wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:48 am The 14th (or 12th fret, depending on the guitar) are free of the guitar. In other words, the 14th will fall just above the binding, above the shoulders.

Example:
Diane, is there some technical reason for this? I know it is somehow standard, but some of mine are not that precise for sure (because of mistakes etc.), and I have seen instruments with the body join at 13th fret e.g. But it always seems to be at a fret. Has this just become convention? Bruce W.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I have seen them on above and below the body joint.
I personally go for the line in front of the fret to line up with the line of the outer binding.
No luthier police will arrest you is you are not perfect
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com