Double-checking neck bolts

What're You Doing?
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: Double-checking neck bolts

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Just tighten the bolts down until the conical washer(belleville) flattens. The tension will keep the bolts tight
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

John- Is that a lock uasher with a flat washer under or over it, or just a lock washer? Have not found any Belllville washers locally.Thanks, Bob
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

I bought mine from McMaster-Carr. No chance of a hardware store having any.
peter havriluk
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

I see LMI sells bolts, barrel nuts and Belleville washers in sets of 2, but not cheap. And, like Bob, I would like to know a) whether a flat washer should be used (some Belleville washer sites say no, but I haven't found any reference for use with wood) and b) at least one site said the Belleville washer should be fitted with the concave surface toward the nut or bolt head; does it matter in this application? LMI instructions do not say. Bruce W.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Use just the Belleville with the concave side against the wood. It's a spring essentially and will keep things tight
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

Thanks a lot Kevin - I've just cut the mortise in the body of the dreadnought I'm working on, and I will try Belleville washers when I put it together, and I may use the barrel nuts instead of threaded inserts, just to reduce the risk of stripping something, too.
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

Not knowing exactly how Bellville washers work, I talked to a machinist friend of mine. He said they only use them for high torque applications. I'm thinking that the lock washer that John suggested might be better for our low torque wood applications.-Bob