Tail Block

What're You Doing?
G650Driver

Tail Block

Post by G650Driver »

Hello all... Is it a common practice to allow the tail block to fall away from the top; so that the only only gluing surface between the top and the tail block is the outer edge of the tail block (about the same gluing width as the kerfing)? I hear people saying that this technique allows for more top vibration in the prime real estate of the lower bout.

Thanks!
tippie53

Re: Tail Block

Post by tippie53 »

don't believe everthing you read
Martin gibson most builders use the entire block there is a lot this block supports
guitar strap , stress from expansion and contraction. I would keep the glue surface.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

When using a radius disc or bar, by just the nature of the curve, the block is glued. What little may be gained by just gluing the outer surface, I believe you would compromise the structural integrity of the guitar by gluing such a small amount of the block.

First, your end pin or jack is glued into the tail. The guitar is sat on the tail. Most falls or drops are on the tail. You're asking for a catastrophic break by not gluing more surface.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
G650Driver

Post by G650Driver »

Good advise. Trying to "squeeze" every last drop of flex from a top may not be worth introducing other potential issues. I stumbled onto that little tidbit from a couple of different sources... it made me think I was missing something that I needed to try. I'll stick to the tried and true.

Thanks again and have a great day!
Mark M
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

The question was excellent. I'm glad you posted it. A lot of other folks might wonder about it too.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

I do shape the tailback so that the gluing surface is only as wide as the kerfing. Reason being that I have seen a number of tops that have deformed areas around a tailback that is fully glued. I have never had a top come loose over the thinned tailback, but I suppose that is possible. Another case of what works for some, does not work for others.
rmmottola

Post by rmmottola »

I'll second Bob Gleason's comment. As a general rule I will thin the top and back of the tail block to match the thickness of the linings. This is done for the reason Bob mentions, to prevent eventual dipping of the outer surface of the top in the "corners" between where the linings meet the block. This dipping doesn't always occur, seems to take years to develop if it does, and doesn't seem to have any negative effect on the performance of the guitar.
R.M. Mottola
LiutaioMottola.com
G650Driver

Post by G650Driver »

Thank you all for your input. The flow of information in this community is awesome!