how to make your own pickguards

What're You Doing?
tippie53

how to make your own pickguards

Post by tippie53 »

It has been a while since I posted anything cool but I think you will like this. Wayne Henderson shared his pickguard method with me.
You can do this in sheets or specific sized pick guards.
First off corian is a great material for this , sheet , you use a piece about 8 in wide 20 in long or make a specific shape pick guard . Be sure you area is dead level and flat.

Materials I use
A System Three 112 epoxy
B Torch
C color tone stains from LMI or Stew Mack

the mix is 2 parts resin 1 part hardener You can play with the mix for your own taste. I use a small plastic cup and dump that into a deli cup. Make a clean mix stick. A pipette cut to allow larger drips for stage 2

measure out your resin and hardener and stir will. Apply the color and mix to your taste , don't waist too much time as this will start curing and that can make making the tortoise swirl touchy. I make enough for 3 guards at a time. I apply the first mix the light color and spread out , then add more color for the swirls.
I apply a few drops and just make it swirly , not hard , as this settles it spreads out very well. Once you have it spread you take the torch and just flash across the epoxy , you will see the small bubble rise . Keep the torch moving. I also would recommend to lay out some aluminum foil down on your work surface to take the spills and the flame won't flare it up like wax paper DON"T ASK
allow to set over night and the work a razor blade under the cured material and then take a spatula or putty knife and work it free.
IMG_3630.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Diane Kauffmds

Re: how to make your own pickguards

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Thanks John. I was wondering about System 3 Epoxy. Ive been concentrating on alternative inlay material. Pickguards are next. It'll come in handy when trying to match up old pg colors, like an old Gibson. For the most part, I don't like the colors in the ready-made pg material.

You've given me another experimental avenue with Epoxy. I've been trying to create specific looks, which require good timing as it starts to cure. The epoxy I'm using now has a 40 minute open time and I'm controlling the exothermal reaction by using a hot water bath and ceramic heat lamp, so I can better create the look I'm after. I'm sure pickguards will need a more pliable epoxy.

I needed a good swirl pattern, with a blue/green color shift. It's hard to see, because of the glare of shine, but this color actually shifts.

I'll take a look at WS 112.

20211215_112320.jpg
20211215_112306.jpg
20211214_101815.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

John, How do you control the flow out of epoxy to get a constant thickness? It does not look like you pour the epoxy into anything that would allow the material to seek the same level. Pretty cool though!
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

it flows out and will seek its own level they are about .035 thousandths thick.
I use a slower epoxy and heat. The torching of the material also helps it to flow and the edges are
nice and beveled
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
rcnewcomb

Post by rcnewcomb »

Looking at the other thread about burls, I wonder if this method would work well with burls that have holes or other flaws that might be solved with complementary or contrasting colored epoxy.

The burl gallery certainly provides some inspiration.
Last edited by rcnewcomb on Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out - another good day in the shop
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I'm sure it would if you use opaque and not transparent or translucent colors in the epoxy. There's a plethora of choice to color epoxy resin.

I used plain 2 part gorilla epoxy to fill the holes in the cherry I used in my second build.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com